Discuss Please rate the quality of this work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jon O'Brien

Many thanks for all your comments, they've been extremely useful and I'm very grateful to everyone who took the time to look at the photographs and express an opinion.

My wife and I were horrified by the state of the tiling (and by other aspects of the job, especially the way the cork floor tiles were laid - they're lipped and there's a ridge under some of them, right by the door, and we're certain they're going to have to come up and be replaced). We needed a reality check from people who know their stuff, however, and you've certainly provided that.

As requested, I've taken four more photographs, general shots of the bathroom to put the detail into context, and have added them to the bottom of the web page.

The reason I particularly wanted comments before this afternoon was because the guy that owns the company who supplied the fitters is coming to take a look at the work and I was expecting him at any time after 12 o'clock. When I spoke to him on the phone yesterday his attitude was that he'd been there in the afternoon and the work had looked fine to him, so I was expecting him to attempt to bluster his way through my objections. He phoned a little while ago to say that he now wouldn't be able to get to me until tomorrow afternoon as he's very busy. I told him that that was totally unaceptable, that time is of the essence and that all I needed from him was his official statement as to whether or not he found the work acceptable and I'd then have no further need of his involvement as I didn't want any of his employees involved in the remedial work. As his company was sub-contracted to do the work by Wickes, who provided the bathroom furniture, they will provide other fitters to put the mess right. His attitude changed somewhat on hearing that and he then said that he could still make it today but that it would be quite a bit later.

Wickes have been very good, assuring me that we're covered by their guarantee and that as soon as the individual in question has had his say their contract manager will come and look at the work, give his opinion and authorise the remedial work as necessary.

Hillhead > I live in Yateley, in N.E. Hampshire. Hopefully we won't need anyone to come and take a look in person once Wickes' contract manager has examined the work but thanks for asking.

J

Jon O'Brien

Latest update:

Wickes has, on the strength of the photographs I took, agreed to put the work right. They're as horrified by them as you've all been and don't need the opinion of the sub-contract company's boss to proceed.

I'm also told that they've never heard of the fitter who actually did our work. This has not pleased them as they pass work on to companies on the understanding that the work will only be carried out by people whose work has been vetted by them. I get the feeling that there's a company out there who won't be getting any more work from Wickes!

Reply to Please rate the quality of this work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We've currently got builders in redoing our bathroom and we bought our tiles from...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I please ask for help from an expert? After discovering a leak & some cracked tiles...
Replies
Views
Komalaa
K
Hello lads and ladies, I've been working on a new website. www.FreeRatedTraders.com. It's a...
Replies
Views
Bedrock Tiles are proud to announce some seriously climate, complimenting news that we have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Please rate the quality of this work
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.