Discuss Please rate the quality of this work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jon O'Brien

Another update:

It seems that, despite what I was lead to believe by the person I'm dealing with at Wickes, the company who did the job have to be given a chance to put the mess right, To that end, the two guys who own the company came to view the scene of the crime today. The reaction of the older of the two, obviously an old pro with many years of experience, was actually very reasuring. He was as horrified as we were at the mess and he wants to get a tiler with 30 years experience in to redo the majority of the wall tiling. He's worried by the floor tiling, though. He said that if he'd realised that the floor tiles were cork, not ceramic, he'd have turned down that part of the job, as they have no expertise in that area. That in itself was good to hear as it's not the kind of thing you hear cowboys say! He says that he's going to have to find someone with experience of laying cork tiles to take on that part of the job. I said that I'd ask if there was one on here and I'll be posting a message to that end in the relevant forum.

The ceramic tiling will be redone immediately after Christmas and the floor tiling as soon in the new year as someone with the relevant expertise can be found. As requested, photos of the finished work will be forthcoming.

Many, many thanks, once again, for all of your comments. You've helped us feel much more confident in sticking to our guns when the initial reactions we were getting to our complaints were pretty negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

I would accept that I'm not the most accomplished tiler here.

But my take on that is

1) No effort to keep spacing consistent
2) No effort to harmonise grout lines on the window sill
3) Cutting is horrendous - leading to gaps of different sizes
4) on one wall it looks like the tiles vary in size. This may not be the tiler's fault, just down to DIY shed tile quality IMO.

I think some photos of the rectified work should be posted on here before you accept it.

BTW I don't think most of that could be salvaged. I think it would be rip out and start again.

D

Daz

Just for the record, quite a few years ago a mate of mine (mechanical engineer by trade) doubled the size of his house doing all the work himself. So, he decided to set himself up as a builder and make a career from it. He walked in to Wickes and with no portfolio & no formal vetting they put him at the top of their approved installers list for conservatories and kitchens and he managed to blag that gig for a few years. He's now just done a Gas Safe course and re-branded himself as a heating engineer (he's a good mate but not gonna get within 100 yards of my properties).

I guess what I am trying to say is that Wickes do not check any trades that want to get on their "approved" list and whilst there may be some good guys on there, there is undoubtedly a lot of questionable trades people on their lists. Incidentally, this is not exclusive to Wickes, I used to get regular telephone calls from all the local DIY sheds stating that for an annual fee I could be on their approved list :lol:.

I look forward to seeing your "new" bathroom pics.
Good luck.

J

jwatson

This work is shocking, the person/s who did this has no pride in the finish he has left you, it looks rushed,bodged and clearly not to industry standards. he is almost certainly in my mind not a tiler and probs a bad builder; attempting a job that he should have left to a proffesional.

he gives all good tilers a bad name.

I would not advise you, have whoever did this back in your house. There will be someone on here, near you, qualified to sort that job out in no time.

i have been working as a tiler for two years now, and i am currently studying to be city and guilds accredited tiler.

It is the detail that realy matters!

Reply to Please rate the quality of this work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We've currently got builders in redoing our bathroom and we bought our tiles from...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I please ask for help from an expert? After discovering a leak & some cracked tiles...
Replies
Views
Komalaa
K
Hello lads and ladies, I've been working on a new website. www.FreeRatedTraders.com. It's a...
Replies
Views
Bedrock Tiles are proud to announce some seriously climate, complimenting news that we have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Please rate the quality of this work
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.