UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Plumbers !!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jwatson

:mad2: started this job today, and why do plumbers think they know everything?
trying to convince me that his practices are the right way.
"Take advice of those qualified" a proverb.
also works the other way IMO. give it, only if you are qualified.
Do i tell him how to do his plumbing??? er no cos i am not a fool.

Tile on wooden floor on 6mm ply :mad2:
walls basicly wet through plastered friday!!! tubbed adhesive.

I start to set out, looking for what looks good to the eye, from centre of window (which is first thing you look at when you go in the room)
no matter how i set up there is a slither cut at one end or the other about 35mm. so i decide that if that is how it has to be, then so be it.
he comes in slating my methods picks up a tile and puts a full one next to the window( not even thinking about what it will look like.)
:lol: even that way means a smaller slither.

The lesson learned from today. the difference between THIS plumber and me the tiler is, i actually care what my work looks like when i have gone, and he just wants things as fast & cheap as possible. and if that means cutting corners then so be it ? ! ?.

hope all plumbers don't have this attitude.
can't see how i could work alongside someone with this attitude towards work
wish I could command more respect.

anyone had any bad experiances with another trade?
and if so how do you enforce more respect, with plumbers and alike thinking they know whats best without any training.

sorry about the rant, been a bad day for me. just hope everyone i come across in this game is not so Rogue Traderish.

T

Time's Ran Out

I can understand your rant as we all have to follow other trades and as we know 'everyone can tile', but at the end of the day the only work which is on show is the tiling! So by making a good job we earn respect.
It's great at the end of a job to get praise, but not half as good as walking out the door with your cheque in your hand. When the phone rings with another job, local tile suppliers recommend you, and you are booked up for months, you know you have arrived and the respect is there. Until then you have to shut the door, be professional and give the impression of respect to the other trades. Now if someone out there would like to give me a job for next week:lol:

J

jwatson

well got out of there today. thank god, looks good, will just be worried about the bad practices i have taken to get it done.

after reflection, i can only advise on how best to go; it is the client or contractor that makes the end decision on what they want.

it is up to me whether i take the money and crack on, or give in to my conscience.
sometimes circumstances will dictate this decision for me.

on this occasion have made the decision not to work with him again. i just don't agree with his attitude towards work.

just hope i don't live to regret this decision with crimbo around the corner.

S

Stef

JW, with your kind of attitude to work i dont think you will live to regret it. you go out there & leave a professional finish & the customers more than happy then thats what really matters.

This plumber is having a laugh if he tries telling you how to tile, i would have rammed his stop **** where the sun dont shine.

I had a fall out with a plumber about a year ago. We were in a private job setting out when i stood on the shower tray & it moved, it wasnt fixed, i told the customer to phone the plumber to get him down to fix the problem so we could get the job pushed on. The plumber arrived & his excuse was that "You dont fix these trays in with cement anymore as it eats into the tray".
It was a stone tray????

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Plumbers !!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Plumbers !!!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.