Discuss Plying out a floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

I always lay it across the boards in a large room and also stagger the joints. You need to use an exterior grade ply, normally wbp and at least 18 mm thick. The sub floor still needs to be deflection free and I leave a 2 mm gap between the sheets. I always overboard my ply with hardie, no more ply or a decoupler. If the floor is in good condition and is deflection free, then you could just use the hardie or no more ply, but with floor boards, they do need to be in good condition.

A

Aston

its also worth while pointing out, that when you screw into your floor boards, you need to try and get screws into the joints were possible and not just fastened to the floor boards? obviously, watch out for water and electrical connections!!

you also need a perimeter expansion gap around the edge of the room.

agree with beam regarding sealing the underneath and sides of the ply with sbr or suitable acrylic primer

A

Aston

i know were rich is coming from. you'd think that pva would be ok on the underneath of the ply but all it takes is to screw through a water pipe and cause a burst and the underneath of that ply is going to get soaked at high pressure for at least 3-5 minutes or the time it takes to turn off the water.

once water has penetrated through the pva and soaked the wbp ply enough, then you have the possibility of it blowing and expanding the surface which affects the tile!. then youve got future problems.

i know pva was used for years and it might seem a bit over the top at times to insist on avoiding it but tilers have to be bang on top of any situation that could cause a failure and avoid being held accountable or even worse, sued, so my advice for any new or old tiler is avoid pva in any form of tiling or prep work...

theres so many areas that we cant control 100% control in tiling, so lets make sure we get the areas we can control right.
hope i dont come across as patronising in this reply, i just want new tilers to be aware of what can happen.

ed

Reply to Plying out a floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Plying out a floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks