UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Polythene behind Hardibacker? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

findus

I've just got a job tiling 2 new bathrooms. I've now noticed that there's no polythene behind the Hardibacker over the shower tray and bath in either bathroom. I'm not supplying any materials on this one and will be using Granfix multifix and maxigrout for 400x250 8mm ceramics with a 75mm glass mosaic dado.

The baths and shower trays have been siliconed against the Hardibacker boarding on studwork. I always pre-scrim the Hardibacker joints with adhesive but I always also put dpm behind the boarding with a wide dpc on the internal angles. Should I insist they take the boarding off and do the same or am I being OTT?
The job is due to start towards the end of next week.

I'll leave that with you while I go out for a ruby.

Pete

F

findus

Thanks Gary

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been unblocking some drains we share with our neighbour. On a Sunday!! Has nothing to do with last night's curry I assure you!:lol:

I've finally found my Hardiebacker data sheet and it says 'When Hardiebacker cement board is installed behind showers you should install a PVC membrane sheet to assist in the prevention of water ingress. Corners of walls and penetrations should be flashed with a PVC flashing or similar'. Mind you it also says that the sheets are easily cut which I definitely don't agree with.

This isn't a 'I told you so' moment, I just wanted to know what general practise was. This builder I'm working for seems to think that tilers just tile, that they don't do the prep work. The next room I'm going to have to tile is a wet room (in the same house) and it sounds like the builder intends tanking it himself. I like the Weber system best. I don't know how he's going to do it yet but I've always tanked my own wet rooms before tiling. I can't see how I can guarantee anything if I haven't done the prep work.

Pete

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Polythene behind Hardibacker? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm redoing my bathroom that I did 15 odd years ago. Before it was tiled with 20x20...
Replies
Views
Hi, im looking for some advice please on what correct adhesives and tanking to use in regards to...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all, I’m new to this forum and hope someone can help me. I’m generally trying to...
Replies
Views
Hello gents! Long time lurker, first time poster.... I’m just fitting out our en-suite bathroom...
Replies
Views
Allan D
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Polythene behind Hardibacker?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.