Discuss Poor mans tanking? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GrahamJones

Hello,

I have a 20sqm shower cubicle to tile, the tiles are 600mm x 300mm and my plan was to use bal gold star and their epoxy grout. But as this is onto plaster and plasterboard I reckon it should really be tanked first.

But tanking 20sqm is going to be expensive, so I started thinking. Bal gold star is a waterpoof adhesive so why can't I tank with that? Apply a continous layer of adhesive and then rib the surface slightly and place tiles on that. Would that be enough to prevent any water getting to the substate?

Or am I being foolish!

Thanks,

Graham

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Gold Star isn't water PROOF. It's water resistant. Which means water can pass through it, and still get to the background (plasterboard), but the adhesive will not fail (doesn't mean the plasterboard will be safe still).

Pretty sure Epoxy is waterproof though. But it's still not fool proof.

I'd tank.

Also an adhesive can't be used for tanking like you suggest. No matter what it is. You could be applying a layer too thick for the adhesive.

Checkout a range of taking kits from different suppliers. Mapei do a good one.

I'm guessing you're not a tradesman then? So DIY?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi, no it's okay we don't mind DIY. It's just I can't tell you where to get the cheapest trade price now that's all.

No adhesive is water PROOF. You can use Epoxy as an adhesive and then it would be (but that would be very very expensive).

You need a tanking kit, then adhesive, then tile, and you can then leave out the epoxy perhaps to save a few quid.

A tanking kit is cheaper than re-doing your tiling, think of it that way.

But cement-based adhesives (so power in a bag you mix with water - cures by chemical reaction) or dispersion adhesives (in a tub ready-mixed - cures by 'drying') can both be water resistant (so they don't break back down when getting wet) but neither are water PROOF.

So protect your plasterboard as when that gets wet it'll eventually crumble or rot. Either could cause tiles falling off on a naked body and you don't want that!

D

DHTiling

[h=1]Mapei Mapelastic AquaDefense
- the best defense against water
[/h]

advert_-_mapelastic_aqua_defense_small_350_m.jpg
[h=1]
  • One Component ready to use
  • Ultra quick drying, tile after just 4 hours
  • Bonds to a wide range of surfaces such as concrete, screeds, timber or existing tiles.
  • [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]Re-sealable ensuring none of the product is wasted.
  • Creates a watertight and seamless elastic membrane

PHG wetrooms for the best prices on Tanking kits etc..

PHG Wetrooms - The Perfect choice for all your wetroom supplies

[/h][/FONT]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Poor mans tanking? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

S
Hi there I'm a DIYer putting in an upstairs wetroom floor. I'm currently at the stage of floor...
Replies
Views
SimpleSimon
S
S
Hi again Last week several of you helped me out with advice for a wetroom floor. There were a...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
Evening folks I am about to tile a bathroom floor inc, Impey wetroom tray & UFH. The work up...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
So attempting my first wetroom floor. Tough-X Linear wet room kit bought from the very helpful...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Poor mans tanking?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.