Discuss Poor Tiling Job? Advise please... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alan M

it proabably can be fixed one tile at a time but why waste all that time.
if the builder starts down that road it shows what a niave person they are. they think they can fix one or two and its 100%
to get more metal one they are going to have to buy all the sheets again anyway

i would get some post its and stick them where every issue is. even use different colours for each type of mistake.
id like to see the pic of that

V

vik987

Finished tile surfaces
The surface should be true such that, when checked with a 2 m
straightedge with 3 mm thick feet at each end, the straightedge
should not be obstructed by the tiles and no gap should be greater
than 6 mm.
There are permissible manufacturing tolerances for ceramic tiles
defined in BS EN 14411; certain types of tiles, e.g. extruded or large
format, might have permissible surface flatness irregularities that
cannot satisfactorily be accommodated within the surface flatness
tolerance permitted to the tile installer; this should be taken into
account when evaluating the achievable flatness of a wall floor tiling
installation.
NOTE Where adhesives are used, this degree of accuracy can be
achieved only when the background surface is equally true.

Across joints
There should be no appreciable difference in level across joints
(commonly called “lipping”) and the maximum deviation between
tile surfaces either side of a joint, including movement joints, should
be as follows.
a) Joints less than 6 mm wide, 1 mm.
b) Joints 6 mm or more wide, 2 mm.

Is someone able to point me in direction where this is stated online?

trying to find evidence to confirm this however cant find online as have to buy book for standards at £180!

Cant put this into a report without knowing for sure what im writting is true?

thanks

V

vik987

Sorry you won't find it online (unless you google "BS5385" and find it through file sharing - not that I am suggesting you do of course!)

My copy is legit, but copyright and watermarks forbid sharing.

this is what i thought,

So if i quote this standards am i right in doing so with regards to the job i have had done? dont want it to be wrong incase goes to court

V

vik987

The quote is correct but be aware that BS5385 is industry guidance - not law.
It's something to work to but in reality, if any of us here were making 1mm lips across joints less than 6mm - we would not be working to a good standard.
0.2mm is poor, never mind 1mm!

Agree!

The builders have said :

'With regards to the leveling of the tiles. BS 5385-3 states that a 2m straightedge should be used when trying to measure the level of the tiles. Any gap over 3mm is classed as unacceptable'

is what they state true or can i argue the point or am i having to accept this work they have done

O

One Day

Quote:

7.1.9 Tolerances
7.1.9.1 Finished tile surfaces
The surface should be true such that, when checked with a 2 m
straightedge with 3 mm thick feet at each end, the straightedge
should not be obstructed by the tiles and no gap should be greater
than 6 mm.
There are permissible manufacturing tolerances for ceramic tiles
defined in BS EN 14411; certain types of tiles, e.g. extruded or large
format, might have permissible surface flatness irregularities that
cannot satisfactorily be accommodated within the surface flatness
tolerance permitted to the tile installer; this should be taken into
account when evaluating the achievable flatness of a wall floor tiling
installation.
NOTE Where adhesives are used, this degree of accuracy can be
achieved only when the background surface is equally true.
7.1.9.2 Across joints
There should be no appreciable difference in level across joints
(commonly called “lipping”) and the maximum deviation between
tile surfaces either side of a joint, including movement joints, should
be as follows.
a) Joints less than 6 mm wide, 1 mm.
b) Joints 6 mm or more wide, 2 mm.

End Quote.

Irrespective of the above, you have received poor, sub-standard workmanship!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like your builders' copy of BS5385 is somewhat out of date!

S

SJPurdy

You should be able to view copies of all the British Stds at your local main library. They may not have hard copies but will be able to view them online. Some libraries (eg worcestrershire) allow you to view them online at home when you have a library membership number. You can only read them at home so you can't print a copy but i think that in the library they may be able to produce a print out of relevant bits (they used to be able to photocopy when they had hard copies so i'm assuming this).
Steve

B

BigDave

Shocking workmanship there! I'm with the others I do hope this cowboy hasn't been paid, I recognise these tiles as well, metallic modular - north of £150 a Sqm. Speak to the company that carried out the work and see if they will refund the money for you to re-purchase the tiles and get a real tile fixer to sort this out for you, as again. Like the others have said this was done by a chancer.

The grout is what has scratched the metal on this particular mosaic it's a sandy floor grout that has been used not the required super fine one like for instance Mapei's Keracolour SF 0.

my heart goes out to you and others like you who have paid good money to have these improvements made to be left with expensive tiles that look like a pigs ear. :thumbsdown:

S

stan1888

Unfortunately some tilers are chancers !!!!

Kitchen company subcontracts work to fitter who in turn subcontracts to tiler etc. Usually the payment is down to the bone and they don't fix walls! Kitchen company blames fitter, they blame tiler, tiler doesn't care cause he/she's on a cheap price.

The people who suffer are the customers or good tilers who are trying to do things right !! Building trade is a rat race at times sadly !!!

Most tilers on here would have refused the job, unfortunately a lot of tilers don't.... so understand what charlie1 means !

C

charlie1

Unfortunately some tilers are chancers !!!!

Kitchen company subcontracts work to fitter who in turn subcontracts to tiler etc. Usually the payment is down to the bone and they don't fix walls! Kitchen company blames fitter, they blame tiler, tiler doesn't care cause he/she's on a cheap price.

The people who suffer are the customers or good tilers who are trying to do things right !! Building trade is a rat race at times sadly !!!

Most tilers on here would have refused the job, unfortunately a lot of tilers don't.... so understand what charlie1 means !

hi Stan,what do you not understand,i shall try my best to clarify

- - - Updated - - -

hi Stan,what do you not understand,i shall try my best to clarify

sorry mate,just re read ...ooops

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Poor Tiling Job? Advise please... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB