Discuss Popping tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Caly

TF
Just lifted an existing floor of 30 x 30 tiles laid onto 4mmm (?) ply with what appeared to be a non flexible adhesive and grout, it had been down 10 years with just one cracked tile.Lifted the ply also.

Now; modern methods.........laid 9mm ply screwed every 150 square (onto floorboards), primed, laid 60 x 60 ceramic using one part bal flexible and grout with flexible grout (bal again).

1st problem..noticed grout had actually shrunk back and cracked in quite a few places.

2nd, Some tiles have started to "pop", that is move up & down, you cant pull them out of their bed using suckers, but they will move.
I can actually put hand pressure on tiles and they will show movement, especially on corners.

Left the job over xmas and will obviously go and re grout, but concerned about long term effects.

Anyone with any advice, remedy ?

Caly

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
h caly

despite the fact that the last installation was laid onto 4mm ply and it lasted doesnt mean these methods will be okay next time round i would call the customer lucky on that occasion

9mmply still isnt sufficient either it needs to be minimum 15mm

you said you laid 600s, did you back butter these or solid bed to ensure good coverage,my initial thought is that you havent acheived full coverage and they are lifting due to this possibly

i wouldnt back butter 300s but i would with larger formats like the 600s

what state was the floor in was there hollows etc and did you pack out or do the above?

A

Aston

i personally think if you have no chioce but to tile on ply, then the face of the ply needs to be suitably primed first. some adhesive companies claim you shouldnt prime the face, only the rear and side but imo, you provide a much more suitable surface if its primed and the suction is controlled much more effectively...

i dont like tiling directly to ply because it goes against everything ive learned since 1985. its too unpredictable/unstable and imo cement based products, even with polymer additives, do not adhere well to wood.

Reply to Popping tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
We had our kitchen floor tiled in large plank-style porcelain tiles (90cm x 15cm) about 2 years...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Popping tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.