Discuss porcelain floor tile movement in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaide

Hello,
Looking for some advice. Had our new kitchen fitted last October. The floor is half concrete and half wooden. The builders replaced the floor boards with 18 mm plywood and leveled the whole kitchen floor with self leveling compound. We also had electric under floor heating put in as there is no radiator in the kitchen.
The porcelain floor tiles move over the plywood area. Also, when you tap the tiles, a fair few of them sound hollow over the concrete area of the kitchen. The builders are coming back tomorrow to rip the floor up and replace the plywood with 22 mm and do the floor all over again.
Can any one shed any light as to why the tiles sound hollow on the concrete sectioned and movement on the plywood section please. The tile adhesive they used was called setaflex and is the correct adhesive.
The under floor heating was put on 3 weeks later after the floor had been laid. The builders gave me no instructions as how you are supposed to gradually increase the temperature. I had initiallty had the temp on high for the first 24 hours until they told me otherwise.
Any advice much appreciated.

When you say they move do you mean they wobble?

The hollow sounds could point to the old and very infamous builders dotndab technique. Which is completely the wrong way to fix a tile.

with you turning the heating onto full may have thermally shocked the tiles however I'm guessing that they have not implemented any expansion joints from one substrate to the next. I'm currently in the bath (best place to catch up on here!!) so will reply fully when I'm out however someone will more than likely beat me to it !!

P

Perfect Tiling

As the other guys say. I know you probably don't want an expansion gap across your floor but you can't tile over 2 different sub floors as they react differently. The hollow sounds are definately a sign of loose tiles which could be related to them being laid wrong or due to thermal shock from the heating being turned on too fast and too high. How long has the concrete been down...it could still be green (wet) which will stop the adhesive getting a full bond. Replacing the 18mm ply with 22mm ply really isn't going to solve the problem. What I would be asking is if they are builders.......are they really tilers. Lots of builders, plumbers, joiners etc say they do tiling.....but if you want it done right you really need to get a tiler to look at it...hence tilersforum!!

K

kaide

Thanks ever so much in replying to my post.
The floor tile movement is a slight up and down when you walk on them. This has meant that the grout between each tile has cracked and crumbled.
As far as expansion joints, I don't know. Incidentally, what are expansion joints and what do they look like.
The tiler did replace a cracked tile before Christmas. The old tile looked like 4 blobs in each corner of the tile. I hope he hasn't used a dotndab technique.
Thanks

B

bugs183

Sounds like classic dot and dab if you can see blobs. If your tiles sound hollow it could also be that the leveling compound is loose, you said the builders did it, and they never do it right i always tell any customer to let me do the leveling not the builder.
To be honest this job isn't sounding too promising.
I wouldn't use ply wood again either i'd be tempted to overlay the concrete and wooden floor in cement board such as Marmox. This is much more stable than plywood, is a much better surface to tile too and it's insulated so the underfloor heating will perform much better.

K

kaide

Hi Bugs183,
I have posted a picture of the kitchen floor but it won't show anything until they take the floor up. IMG_1322.jpg IMG_1322.jpg
Sorry I down loaded the picture twice. The concrete floor is nearly beyond the kitchen units on the left hand side. The plywood bit is the nearest in the photo. With the threshold, you can slide a screw driver underneath the tile.
As to height levels, we won't know until they take the floor up. Incidentally, the original floor had small ceramic tiles and they didn't move or creak.

The builders are coming back tomorrow?
What does the builder say is causing the movement?
Obviously he thinks that changing the plywood is going to solve whatever the problem is,
but as you've seen already, there's a few other things to consider.

I think you should do a bit of detective work tomorrow, take some pics of the removed tiles and get a few on here.

Once the floor is removed, then describe the situation and assess best preperation methods on here, and with the info you've already got you can tell the builder to hang fire with the tiling untl its all prepped correctly..

Also, Usually you'd have to beg and argue for the builder to fix things - but by the sound of it he's happy to re-do it, maybe he know's something that we don't?

B

bugs183

As you say hard to tell, until it comes up, shame it looks nice and flat looking at the reflections :(
You'll have to dig a tile up and find out if it's dot n dab, if it is, no matter what the tiler says it's been fixed incorrectly.
Also i take the underfloor heating electric, if so did the tiler lay this out then level over this with leveling compound, if he tried to tile directly over the mat (dot n dab or with a trowel) it is prone to failure and also there can be hot spots in the matting where no adhesive has covered the mat.

Tomorrow no works need to take place apart from questioning the builder as to what his methods of fixing the failure are and lifting one or two tiles to show tge fixing method.
Clearly you now know there are a few factors towards the failure.

I think this issue may go on a little longer than you anticipate. Hopefully the builder will comply on all levels and keep you a happy customer!

K

kaide

Hi Bugs183,
Thanks for your reply. The builder's work man did the self leveling. We think the self leveling is concrete. It's grey in colour. The tiler then tiled over the floor the next day. When the tiler re-placed a cracked tile, you could see the orange electric heating mat. How deep does the mat need to be? We understand that the heating mat will be damaged when the tiles are taken up. We will be definitely taking photos tomorrow when they take the floor up.

B

bugs183

Sounds that way doesn't it Robson, people look at me like i'm mad when i insist the underfloor heating has to be leveled over, 'sorry for doing your job properly!!'
I bet the builders man didn't prime the floor, so i bet all the self leveling he used is shot as well, it will be after the floor is removed.
Not sure what your asking, but you need to have a nice flat flat floor (hence the leveling already done), then you lay the mat out as needed, then you self level over the top of this, to cover and protect the cable, usually 4-6mm depending on the thickness of the wire. This is left overnight, then the tiler can tiler over the floor using a notched trowel 8-10mm to trowel the adhesive onto the floor, then each tile is back skimmed (adhesive spread out with a flat trowel across the tile back), then laid into the already notched adhesive, if the tiler needs to adjust a tile he adds or removes the adhesive needed, but NEVER spots adhesive, if he's prepared the floor correctly he should never need to dot n dab.

Reply to porcelain floor tile movement in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB