UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Porcelain tile help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

David-M.

Hi,

I've just bough some black polished porcelain tiles for my kitchen floor and I'm a little unsure about a few things, so here goes...

When I was buying the tiles today I visited a few different shops, looking at what appeared to be the same tiles, Topps insisted that I needed some sealer at £30 to stop the grout staining the tiles "and nothing more". Another shop claimed the sealer was a one off treatment to prevent stains from liquids and one place (Pilkingtons) said the tiles didn't need any sealer.

So, I'm guessing that I will need the sealer, but is it OK to apply the sealer to the tiles before laying them? That seems like an easier option? Also, I read on here that I may need to remove some kind of coating/wax before applying the sealer? Can anyone recommend a cleaner for this please?

Dave.

P

peckers

Polished porcelain does need sealing most companys supply a sealer for polished porcelain. if you work cleanly ie. washing out the joints and cleaning the tile surface as you go then you can apply the sealer after they have been layed but before you grout them. if you want to you can apply the sealer before you tile.
if the tiles have transit wax on them, there might be something on the box telling you if they have or not or the tile supplier should be able to confirm this. if they have then this needs to be removed before you grout them you can use either lithofin abra clean or aquamix nano scrub(thanks dave) once this has been removed then apply sealer and then grout.:thumbsup:

D

David-M.

Just need to pick someone's brain a second if possible?

I'm just clearing the floor in the kitchen, it is on two levels, the lower level used to be a coal shed and a utility room and that has been knocked through so it's one large room with a step the height of a brick in the middle.

In the lower part, there was laminate down, then the foam underlay and under that were some really old floor tiles glued onto the concrete floor. So, off I go with the scraper and one or two of them came away much easier than the others, and I noticed a smell what I can only describe as that of an old cellar, sort of damp but dusty. There was a bit of white power dotted around under this tile.

Straight away, I thought it might be damp because unlike the other half of the kitchen, there doesn't appear to be any DPC in the floor, the rest of the downstairs has a black rubber (ish) coating on all the floors. But, there is a DPC in the walls.

Would it be advisable to get some DPC and put it down before the tiles, or is the damage already done? There didn't appear to be any physical dampness that I could see, in fact it was very dry and dusty.

Hopefully I'm worrying over nothing again :)

Thanks.

T

tfs

Hi Mate,

I dont know much about that product but in my own experience if I was going to use that it would be for grout or at the most a top up on to tile that I have sealed already.

You can get a sealer from Topps, Tile Giant or perhaps even B&Q, just ask for an impregnating sealer one that is suitable for polished tiles. (if it was me I would choose one that is applied by sponge or brush rather than aerosol)

That product you are looking may work but I personally wouldnt use this.

hope this helps mate:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

David-M.

Thanks tfs :)

I wasn't too fussed about that brand to be honest, I was going to go for the LTP MTG and LTP Grimex combo.

I was wondering also, the LTP MPG info says it treats 10-20sqm, but it also says that four applications may be needed, so is that four bottles, or will one bottle do all that?

Also, I was wondering in my own scientific kind of way, when I'm removing the wax with this Grimex stuff (tile by tile before laying), it says to rinse off with water, but won't that mark the tiles as they'll be really porous after cleaning?

Found both products together here, so will probably go with that unless someone can convince me otherwise :)

Natural Stone & Porcelain Tile Sealers - Maintenance Products | Stone Deals

T

tfs

After cleaning the tiles with the cleaner you should wait until they are fully dried and be happy that all residue has been removed from the tile. Manufacturers will normaly specify a time in which you should wait after cleaning before you seal the tile.

Before the first coat you should ensure that all residue is has been removed (just a visual inspection). Give the tiles one coat before fixing, this reduce chances of grout staining etc. Then after grouting another coat of sealer should be applied.

I reckon two coats would be enough for your Polished Porcelain.

When looking at coverage bare in mind the area you are treating, as you will need at least two coats you need to account for double the area that has been tiled.

D

David-M.

Will do mate :)

Should I be worried?

I've had three quotes from different tilers this week, all within £5 of each other, but none of them had ever heard of there being wax on porcelain tiles and one of them was surprised to hear that they needed sealing. Seems odd when the merchants and outlets are plugging the sealers with the tiles, and all the info on here too don't you think?

The other thing that I've been pondering is the step that's halfway down the kitchen, it's only a brick height, but I was wondering what the best way for them to do the edge is? One of them suggested using a plastic trim, and the other one said to leave the edge bare and that the trim would get scratched easily as it's plastic. So do you guys leave the edge of a step as just bare tiles, and if so, what do you do to stop the grout on the joins from coming away?

Cheers!

Reply to Porcelain tile help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.