UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Porcelain tile help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

David-M.

I'm guessing he'll start at the step and do the edge of a full tile, but what I was meaning was, the step is about 3 tiles wide, so there'll be 2 or so lines of grout running up to the step which will just wear away and come loose? I think I'd prefer a nice metal trim, I'll get looking now.

P.S. Whatever you do, don't search google or google images for schutler!

633495987683532308-what-has-been-seen.jpg

D

David-M.

The Grimex and MPG arrived today, but unfortunately, the Grimex doesn't have any effect on the sealer that comes already applied to the tiles.

I've gone from 1 part Grimex to 10 parts water to neat Grimex and it's having no effect whatsoever. Tried using a scouring pad, tried leaving it to soak, but it is like trying to remove enamel with water (well, kinda).

I'm a bit stumped now as this stuff came highly recommended. Any thoughts? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

David-M.

Just to update further on this:

The Power stripper and grout stain remover samples arrived and neither of those had any effect whatsoever.

I'm fairly certain now that this isn't transit wax, but a pre applied sealer. Speaking to LTP again today, they say that they've never come across even a sealer that is impervious to all their chemicals, and just to confirm this, they asked me to do the permanent marker test on one of the tiles I'd not used any chemicals on and it just pooled and wiped straight off. They are keen to get hold of a sample of these tiles, so I'm sending them my offcuts and hopefully that will help anyone else that has the same problem as me.

The problem that I do still have is that the tiles look fine, but they do have a slight haze to them, and while I can live with that, it is the sealer that they've used for sure, and the reason that I know this is that I spent an hour with a pan scourer yesterday and managed to partially remove some of it, but it's very tough!

T

tfs

it says the tiles are presealed, it may be the nano seal that I mentioned previously. If this is the case then this type of seal is made to last. Nanotechnolegy (to the best of my knowledge) is a permenant seal. These tiles usualy have a very oily/ waxy finnish to the tile. This should have come off with an intensive cleaner (obviously this did not work though)

My first thought would be that the tile has been Nano-sealed but, I would be very keen to hear what LTP have to say after there tests.

You could try contacting the tile manufacturer?

D

David-M.

I rang Al-Murad today and they are going to look into it and get back to me on Monday. To be honest, if they say that that is the finish and that's how they are supposed to look, then, that's fine, I just didn't want to have them all stained by grout or whatever and have to all come back up again.

LTP said also that they'd been checking out Nano-sealed tiles and found that they benefit from a coat of MPG, or at least some of them did. All very confusing for a novice like me.

Regarding the waxy oily surface, there's none of that, it's dry and it's hard, just as you'd expect it to be if there was no sealer or wax on there, but there is that kind of haze that looks as though it should come off if that makes sense?

T

tfs

I rang Al-Murad today and they are going to look into it and get back to me on Monday. To be honest, if they say that that is the finish and that's how they are supposed to look, then, that's fine, I just didn't want to have them all stained by grout or whatever and have to all come back up again.

LTP said also that they'd been checking out Nano-sealed tiles and found that they benefit from a coat of MPG, or at least some of them did. All very confusing for a novice like me.

Regarding the waxy oily surface, there's none of that, it's dry and it's hard, just as you'd expect it to be if there was no sealer or wax on there, but there is that kind of haze that looks as though it should come off if that makes sense?

Trust me bud, it is very confusing to most of us. No presealed tile should absorb grout anyway.

goodluck, I hope someone comes up with an effective solution for you. Let us know how you get on.

:thumbsup:

D

David-M.

Actually mate, now you've said that, I do feel a little less suspect of the tilers that I've seen that didn't know about all this stuff, I mean, if I'd have gone with the Pilkington's ones that looked pretty much identical, only shinier and about £150 more, there would have been none of this, and I suppose that's what many of the fitters must do. get decent tiles and be free (ish) of all this nonsense?

Cheers :)

D

David-M.

I forgot to mention that I've done a box of the tiles with MPG to see how they went, as LTP mentioned that nano tiles may benefit from it. So far so good, but I'm runnng out of micro-fibre cloths (15 in all) after just 8 tiles.

Would I be better off with a drill attachment for buffing them up, and if so, could you recommend one as I've got 88 more tiles to do and at this rate it's going to cost me more in cloths :D

Thanks.

S

Scott

You will find that the one Dave is using is a really tough paper and doesnt break down in water. Its used by the window fitters etc.

I sealed a polished porcelain floor yesterday and took some cloths with me but ended up having to scrounge some old ones from the customer as it used loads to get the smear free finish. You need to keep turning the cloth over because as soon as its got some of the excess sealer on it it then goes smeary.

D

David-M.

Another update:

Al-Murad rang back and they claim that the tiles are not glazed in any way and had never heard of nano glazing. They also went on to say that to remove the hazy coating, you simply rub in some grout and it should come away.

Has anyone ever heard of this, or are they feeding me a crock of kack? You see, when I was buying the tiles, they insisted that I needed the spray sealer to stop the grout staining, but now they are saying that grout should be rubbed in to remove the coating of hazy stuff. Sounds fishy to me.

Cheers :)

D

David-M.

You are right, it didn't work. :)

Just got one box of 8 tiles left out of 96 to buff off the MPG and I'm done. The tiler is coming to lay them in the morning, so fingers crossed it'll be a decent job.

Used less than a 1/3rd of a bottle of MPG do do all 17sq/m, applied with a sponge, but it doesn't seem to soak in, so most of it ended up drying, so it's been a hard job cause it's a pig to buff off if there's a lot on the surface, which obviously there was as it didn't sink in much! The vapours are potent, even in a well ventilated room, but on the plus side, it's quite a funky, mellow kind of stoned
xmasbladdered.gif

Found a nice stainless steel trim, made by Genesis, looks to be of decent quality and I got it from Boltseal for around £22 inc delivery.

Thanks for all the help, I'll be back with pics of the job done on Friday, all being well :)

Reply to Porcelain tile help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.