UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss preping new ply walls for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cyclonebri1

Ok, listened to and heard but this is the scenario. This is vertical stuff. Plasterboard has been removed from the boxing in simply as it was rough and the plywood could be fixed/glued/screwed more effectively.
The job is done, no going back, no redoing.
I have shiny wbp/explywood to tile onto.

Rough it up and no primer before weber flexible or pva.

I have to ask;

whats the issue with pva and tilers????

All plasterers I know use pva to "stick" skimming to old walls, and then tile over?????????????????????????????????????

G

grumpygrouter

Quite simply PVA "primer" can break down when it comes into contact with water and become "live" again, this means your tiles have a layer of damp wallpaper paste between the adhesive and the substrate and the tiles can fall off. Compound this with the fact you have a water sensitive substrate and you are asking for real trouble. Porcelain tiles are heavy beasts and if one should fall off and onto someone (a child?) it would do a lot of damage.

You will find no one on this forum recommending your course of action. Sorry!!

Ok, listened to and heard but this is the scenario. This is vertical stuff. Plasterboard has been removed from the boxing in simply as it was rough and the plywood could be fixed/glued/screwed more effectively.
The job is done, no going back, no redoing.
I have shiny wbp/explywood to tile onto.

Rough it up and no primer before weber flexible or pva.

I have to ask;

whats the issue with pva and tilers????

All plasterers I know use pva to "stick" skimming to old walls, and then tile over?????????????????????????????????????

C

cyclonebri1

Do what you want m8 ! But stop asking for advice as you do not want to listen:mad2:

It's not a case of me choosing not to do as advised but I have a ready made scenario to start from.
Please don't tell me to stop asking for advice unless you promise to stop giving non usefull advice, cheers chap.

Can I suggest you read my previous threads before you decide if I'm ignoring advice. From an earlier post I made it very clear the full height walls were to be stripped and re done as per valuable advice on here

Perhaps I didn't make this clear but I'm talking about the low level service cover wall behind the wash basin toilet bidet and rad etc.
The situation here was that there is alot of heavy stuff hanging on the wall, plasterboard was considered not supportive enough hence the use of water resistant 12mm ply.

Also the same issue for the bath panel which was to be exterior grade ply with the same tiles, but obviously as a take off sealed panel, what's the advice? 10mm no more ply or similar, would that be durable enough for a removable panel?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cyclonebri1

Ok, now we are being serious, does not a layer of plasterboard on the ply simply add to the "screwed on weight" supported by the framework?? Surely there must be an effective way of adding grip to plywood.

Ps detaails on pva gratefully accepted and factored in, cheers

Please don't think I'm not taking advice but I'm a retired senior,"chief" mechanical engineer and I can't but ask why?

R

Rich

Hi, I have to agree with the gents above to be honest and I cant understand why you would ever "have" to use ply, a cement backer board would have been a far better choice from scratch and I would strongly recommend using a similar board. As said above, ply is really not a very good substrate to tile onto for many reasons. Have a read through the link below, the post is regarding plywood on floors but is the same for walls

Plywood floors...

As with regards to the PVA as a primer, have a look through this link

read: P.V.A. Versus Primers

If you still decide to tile straight onto the ply, then I would use a 2-part adhesive like Mapei keraquick with latex plus, this is available from tile giant but would still be happier over boarding. Hope this is some help.

C

cyclonebri1

Hi, I have to agree with the gents above to be honest and I cant understand why you would ever "have" to use ply, a cement backer board would have been a far better choice from scratch and I would strongly recommend using a similar board. As said above, ply is really not a very good substrate to tile onto for many reasons. Have a read through the link below, the post is regarding plywood on floors but is the same for walls

Plywood floors...

If you still decide to tile straight onto the ply, then I would use a 2-part adhesive like Mapei keraquick with latex plus, this is available from tile giant but would still be happier over boarding. Hope this is some help.

No it's fine and a good help, but try to explain to any woodworker why you should use plasterboard in favour of ply, (ie, plasterboard adds nothing to the structure but ply does), and you may understand my indesision? and what can be done to rescue the situation, yeah.

You guys give dam good advise, but sometimes it needs to be tempered with a little of bit of DIY leeway, if that makes sense, yes you guys are looking at potential liability, (understandable), me? just a good, safe not litigation proof adequate job

R

Rich

Plasterboard will hold a greater weight and if you read through the link I put up in my last post you will see that ply is very problematic. I am trying to answer all of your questions, if I was looking to make something out of wood I would take your advice, take ours on this. Now that the ply is in place and it is not in a shower area I would recommend buying yourself some keraquick with latex plus, should be fine :thumbsup:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
just a quickie mate,i tiled 3 bathrooms in the same house not so long ago,in quite expensive tiles. the joiner boarded the bathrooms out in ply,saying about the strenth factor ect how he has seen this done sooooooo many times ect (ive only been in the trade 26years,so obviously,i know nowt).
long story short,i reboarded 2 in plasterboard,dident do the last one,the owner wouldent let me,so i tiled them all(in flexi adhisive),the wood one dident take but the plasterboard walls are and always will be fine,as solid as my head. ply is not good to tile on,maybe im just unlucky though

D

doug boardley

No it's fine and a good help, but try to explain to any woodworker why you should use plasterboard in favour of ply, (ie, plasterboard adds nothing to the structure but ply does), and you may understand my indesision? and what can be done to rescue the situation, yeah.

You guys give dam good advise, but sometimes it needs to be tempered with a little of bit of DIY leeway, if that makes sense, yes you guys are looking at potential liability, (understandable), me? just a good, safe not litigation proof adequate job
..but we have to get it right everytime .....reputations and all that.

C

cyclonebri1

Plywood floors...

Thanks chap, and to everyone else. The advice has been great, the walls have stripped and patched, (plaster on block from new), the floor which is 1/2 floorboarded/1/2concrete has been over boarded in no more ply fixed per recomendations and tiled. You lot sold me on that stuff some time back and yes it is solid.

The rest of the job being low level and most tiles effectively will have fixing bolts through for sanitary ware and accessories so will have to stick with the ply this time, 2 part flex to be used.

Hadn't heard about the PVA thing, the advice seems critical, but, although I'm not a proffesional plasterer I can plaster to a very acceptable standard, learnt simply by watching pro's. But what I can say that even recently all 3 or 4 have used PVA on plasterd or painted walls prior to reskimming, even knowing walls are to be tiled????. Maybe some thing to bear in mind for you guys?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
cyclone bri,pva is fine for plastering in fact its needed yes

it is not for tiling

pva is needed for plastering,plaster skim can hold tiled weights up to 20 k a sq metre so really only good for ceramics so thats fine

its just not fine to then re apply pva on top of the skim coat before tiling
i think on over skimmed walls the weight is reduced a lot,no where near as strong as new plaster or plasterboard skimmed:thumbsup:

Reply to preping new ply walls for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi - we would very much appreciate some advice. In October 2020 we had a sole trader come in to...
Replies
Views
G
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please forgive any silly questions, I've taken on rather a big...
Replies
Views
T
Hi guys halfway through fitting my new bathroom just waiting for the plasterer to finish...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
G
Hi all, We have just bought a new-build house, and whilst there is a shower cubicle in the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.