Discuss Pricing Method in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Smudger you are probably a sole trader. If so, then you are not VAT registered & you should not be adding VAT onto customers bills. I am a sole trader and if my day rate is £150 then that is what the customer pays (i.e. no VAT). When I buy materials/tools etc I pay VAT on my purchases. At the end of the year I deduct the cost of all the materials/tools/petrol costs & running costs of my business from my labour charges. The end result is my profit. When I submit my TAX returns, the Inland Revenue will work out what TAX I should pay.

If you are not a sole trader then you will need to call the Inland Revenue and tell them your circumstances.

I went on a half day (free) business course run by the Inland Revenue. They will answer all your questions and tell you how you should complete tax return etc.

It really is quite simple, and definitely nothing to worry about. Maybe you could look up the term ‘sole trader’ on the internet.

So for the moment please don’t worry about VAT. Just keep things simple for now.

Now to answer your original post………………..I’m based in West London and I’m still on the £150-£160 a day rate, and that’s based on a very long day.

Good luck.
Sean

S

Stewart

Smudger you are probably a sole trader. If so, then you are not VAT registered & you should not be adding VAT onto customers bills. I am a sole trader and if my day rate is £150 then that is what the customer pays (i.e. no VAT). When I buy materials/tools etc I pay VAT on my purchases. At the end of the year I deduct the cost of all the materials/tools/petrol costs & running costs of my business from my labour charges. The end result is my profit. When I submit my TAX returns, the Inland Revenue will work out what TAX I should pay.

If you are not a sole trader then you will need to call the Inland Revenue and tell them your circumstances.

I went on a half day (free) business course run by the Inland Revenue. They will answer all your questions and tell you how you should complete tax return etc.

It really is quite simple, and definitely nothing to worry about. Maybe you could look up the term ‘sole trader’ on the internet.

So for the moment please don’t worry about VAT. Just keep things simple for now.

Now to answer your original post………………..I’m based in West London and I’m still on the £150-£160 a day rate, and that’s based on a very long day.

Good luck.
Sean

If your a sole trader, it's up to yourself if you wish to be Vat registered or not. Unless you turnover more than £70,000 then you have to be vat registered by law.

G

Graham100

"No not yet (although I think the turnover figure is about £68k before you have to), but is there an assumption that the customer has paid VAT on your labour? If so wouldn't you be expected to pass that on? I will probably have to phone them, just wondered if other people did"

If you are not registered or turning over the £68k you don't have to hand anything over to the VAT man. The downside is that you can't claim back the VAT on your purchases, as a sole trader you are by far better off not being VAT registered.

I charge my time at what I think would be £150 per day minimum, but my work rate means I end up getting less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Pricing Method in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, been a keen reader of the forum for a few weeks now. Getting ready for a DIY bathroom...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone I've done several trades across construction, and the thing I struggle most with is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am due to tile our Kitchen floor at the weekend, we went all out for the Black Star light...
Replies
Views
T14086
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Pricing Method
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.