Discuss primer peeling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Sadly there is only one option here. The primer has failed to penetrate into the screed surface meaning it was probably applied too thickly this means the bond strength either between primer coats or between the primer and screed will be very weak. You will need to remove the tiles and the primer and restart I am afraid. It is quite a common failure on these screeds and is often a case of "more is less" people put more primer on thinking it will do a better job but in reality you end up tiling on a plastic bag.

If you tile on it now your tiles will fail. At least right now you only lose a few tiles and a couple of days labour. If you had completed the job you would have lost all,the tiles as wwell.......trying to find a silver lining for you.

Why not use a primer less system instead. You will avoid this issue completely then.

Kerakoll h40 ideal, benfer gyps, gypfix from nicobond are all primer less.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ok spoke to technical who have said that the adhesive should stick to the primer and ad long as that is happening it will be ok .

NO NO NO NO NO........ If the primer is not sticking to the floor the tiles have nothing to hold onto........... They have given you poor advice

C

chequers

maybe i am not explaining myself well, well i hope i,ve got it wrong .
This morning having laid one row of 800 tiles i picked off lumps of adhesive that had gone off on the floor , aside from the tiles in preperartion for todays laying ,the adhesive had stuck fast to the primer but when i forced it it came away taking the primer bit it was stuck to .
Weber say that this is right and that the adhesive should bond to the primer .
I am at a loss and worried . if the adhesive is bonded to the primer and the primer looks for all intents and purposes that is bonded to the floor apart from when you say remove a tile then the primer would come away with the adhesive .
Please comment further guys including ajax

Somerset
Chequers - some photos always help in determining whats gone wrong.

I am with Ajax on this one - you will probably have to completely remove and refix.

However - you appear to be removing the tiles without a full curing period - so they will tend to come away cleanly with the adhesive and primer if you are trying to remove them within a day of laying. Most adhesives have a full curing period of 2 weeks (dependant on depth) - after 24 hours it may be "set" but not "fully cured."

C

chequers

Hi guys ok more investigation has revealed that the next floor up that has had one coat one of pr360 is doing the same as the floor below with two coats and the one we ar working on with three coats ,essentially it is like sunburn where you peel the skin away ,it comes off like a thin sheet ,underneath where i have peeled i have put some water and it is absorbed straight in.
Something is /has gone badly wrong ,it cannot be about putting too thick a coat or to many when all the floors are doing it with differing coats ,all of the primers have been done since Saturday ?

T

The D

I am at the moment turning down all floors that are on to anhydrite as I just do not trust the adhesion to this sub floor. I have sanded and primed so many floors and I have on occasion had to change a tile for whatever reason and it is always the same with the floors that are anhydrite. I brake the tile out and I can get the adhesive of the floor with very little effort. I understand that my opinion may not be very popular but it is what it is.

Reply to primer peeling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB