UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Pro tiling of kitchens, what level of prep to expect from fitters? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

ioannis

I've been tiling for around ten years and consider my self of a high standard. Over the years I have had issues with the level of prep either i or the fitter should do. Bearing in mind the depth constraints of tub gear, i feel the substrate should be to within a couple of mm of perfect. Now do you guys walk away, chisel away or plaster as a standard part of your role?

On a kitchen atypical / acceptable day for me would be a max of 5 metres straight tiling (given one window, all returns. Full height to extractor). Plastic trimed and grouted all to a high standard. I would expect half hour to an hour of prep, spread thoughout the day.

This amount of work seems reasonable to me for a days money plus sundries, the average allowed by the major kitchen firms for an average kitchen.

Please share your expectaions. Are there any cheap quick drying filler products instead of the full plastering routine, suitable between worktop and wall cupboard?

B

Billy Hunt

I do a fair bit of kitchen work and the walls are hardly ever prepped for me,so any extra work on the prep side I charge for.
I never use tubbed gear for that reason and I skim with addy as i'm going along.
In this day and age I'd imagine if you kicked up a fuss about substrate prep to some of these companys they would tell you to do one.
I also charge by the meter on splashys and never give them an exact time when it will be finnished as not to disapoint,working with 4 inch tiles and dodgy substrates it's done when it's done.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Stopped working for Kitchen firms you always get put on,Its not good when you travel a lot of miles and then find you have to do a lot of prep for the same price.
It's called exploitation ,when-ever you work sub-contract for any other firm they are not to good at supplying materials,sub straights,help they promise the customer the earth, that you have to try and deliver lol, it always easier with working direct for the client ,we all learn the ropes as we go along ..........

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Pro tiling of kitchens, what level of prep to expect from fitters? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
Tiling Courses at The DIY School in Manchester enable men and women who have little or no...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys hoping someone could advise me as to what needs doing on a job i am on. Its a long...
Replies
Views
AKOTiler
A
Courses : Tiling Courses Tiling Taster Course 1 Day Spend a day at YTA and tile a small kitchen...
Replies
Views
Jeanette
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.