Discuss Problem with yellowing grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Hi all, I did a bathroom about 10 months ago with white gloss wall tiles and Webber anti mould grout, the grout has now gone a dirty yellow colour on all four walls, even over the door which is nowhere near the shower.

The walls were all either new plasterboard or solid plaster.

This is so dissapointing as its ruined the bathroom for my customer, I used white webber powdered adhesive and left it days before grouting, the water used was clean etc.

I never had this problem before, she dosn't have a fan in the bathroom but this dosn't appear to be mildew issue, just uniform yellowing. :mad2:

Any ideas??

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Bob

have you raked any grout out in an inconspicuous area yet? might be worth ascertaining if the yellowing is just on the surface or whether it runs through the depth of the grout in the joint. if it runs through the depth, it might be a faulty batch and you should contact Webber for their advice, but if it's just on the surface, then the grout has reacted to something in the room - air, air fresheners, cleaning products, cleaning utensils like John suggested...

have you asked the customer how she cleans her bathroom walls and what with?

certain shower gels and shampoos have been known to react badly with grout and turn it an orange colour, so you'll be best starting to eliminate anything that could be reacting with the grout on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

This is interesting,we have been tiling hotel bathrooms and 2 weeks ago we were called back to a hotel where we had tiled 16 bathrooms, 4 of which had the exact same problem.We used Bal grout.I rang their technical dept but they couldnt offer a logical explanation.It was a nightmare,it wasnt all the walls just patches but still needed regrouting.My feeling is its not a problem with the grout but im not sure what it is.Anyway the problem is identical.

B

BWTiling

Personally I'd say rake out the Grout and check the Substrate in a small area! Seen it loads of times and timeframe for it happening is always a lot quicker for Bathrooms with Poor Ventilation!! You'll probably find that because no adhesives / grouts are totally impervious to Water the condensation in the room alone will make the Substrate damp and because it's the background takes a lot longer to dry out (ventilation again!). If it's a Yellow colour then it's normally Plasterboard, a darker Yellow / Orange / Brown type colour is normally Solid Plaster Skim. Anti-Mould etc. will make no difference as to the colour of the Grout "Bleaching" due to the condition of the substrate!
Good Luck and let us know how you get on?

Reply to Problem with yellowing grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Last Dec tiled a small conservatory (13m) with 600mm porcelain tiles. Prior to tiling another...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views
We've got as far as stripping out the bathroom in our new (to us) bungalow dug up floor, laid...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
C
Hi guys, need to source a alternative grout. I've used mapei ultracolour and not gone on with...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Problem with yellowing grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.