Discuss Problems with peeling tanking in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

Just been using two different tanking kits.
both on to plastered walls.
first one was Mira 4180 primed as per instructions on to dry Plaster Left to dry overnight . Next day applied two coats Mira multi coat.following day tanking looks fine but if you geta scraper under it you can peel tanking liquid and primer straight off the plaster.
another bathroom same plastered wall.primed as per instruction with Mapei primer g followed by ccl tanking liquid .same drying times same result.
never tried to peel it off before so maybe this is normal.
anyone found this.

first one was Mira 4180 primed as per instructions on to dry Plaster Left to dry overnight . Next day applied two coats Mira multi coat.following day tanking looks fine but if you geta scraper under it you can peel tanking liquid and primer straight off the plaster.
another bathroom same plastered wall.primed as per instruction with Mapei primer g followed by ccl tanking liquid .same drying times same result.
anyone found this.

Im not going to ask a JOTY winner if he applied it right, I also have found the same problem with a Mapei tanking kit I used lately. I let it dry for an additional 2 days and it seemed fine. I put it down to the weather.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
anyone found this.

Can I ask what made you take a scraper to it? I can't say I've ever tried to do that, so no idea if that's normal or not!?!

J

jonnyc

Can I ask what made you take a scraper to it? I can't say I've ever tried to do that, so no idea if that's normal or not!?!
No reason for trying to peel off.just thought I would see how well stuck.bit of a shock.
strange thing is that on sera of wall that had only primer on it ,primer was well stuck to wall.
only after tanking liquid applied and dry could I peel primer and tanking off wall.
you can tell that primer come off as so porous and wet finger discolours plaster immediately

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Try it next time you tank the next day.
this could be just the way it is.mira have not come back to me yet.
been using Mira without failure for 12years or more

Someone else had this problem a week or so ago.. I can't remember which brand it was though, so could be a dodgy batch, or like you say, just the way it is until it's had time to fully cure!?!

R

Rossymcg

There was another thread about peeling tanking, it was the palace stuff and the ideas was over polished plaster, moisture in the plaster etc....
Other thread was me and plaster wasn't over polished nor moisture in the plaster,

Try it next time you tank the next day.
this could be just the way it is.mira have not come back to me yet.
been using Mira without failure for 12years or more
I had exactly the same problem as you John, primer peeling off with the barrier paint,
the mega reps told me(used mega after palace peeled twice), "it's the way it is" scraping and pulling in a small area applies a much greater and different type of force than hanging tiles off it, so I trusted his words(maybe stupidly) but all the 8mm glass mosaics are still stuck to the wall, I also left it a few days longer to dry out than manufactures recommendations which seemed to help with adhesion

J

jonnyc

Other thread was me and plaster wasn't over polished nor moisture in the plaster,

I had exactly the same problem as you John, primer peeling off with the barrier paint,
the mega reps told me(used mega after palace peeled twice), "it's the way it is" scraping and pulling in a small area applies a much greater and different type of force than hanging tiles off it, so I trusted his words(maybe stupidly) but all the 8mm glass mosaics are still stuck to the wall, I also left it a few days longer to dry out than manufactures recommendations which seemed to help with adhesion

think youre right .
left the sample area a few more days and much harder to peel off and could only do so when getting a scraper under it.
picking at it after three days could not touch it .

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Problems with peeling tanking in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
S
Hi again Last week several of you helped me out with advice for a wetroom floor. There were a...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Looking for a bit of advice re wetroom installation. I have completed a few wet rooms and have...
Replies
Views
S
I have a Marmox showerlay former and Marmox over the rest of the floor in a wetroom. Used this...
Replies
Views
Concrete guy
C

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB