Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Problems with UHF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Oliver3

Hi all,
I am new to this site and wondered if I could get some advice.
I've been a tiler for a few yrs but my knowledge and experiance with under floor heating is fairly limited. I have tiled over UHF using the latex screed with good results.
I got asked to do a quote for a customer who has had a limestone kitchen floor tiled over the electric UHF. The corners of the tiles have cracked and broken. so obviousley the tiler (cowboy) used the dob an dab method! The floor was not screed and here lies the question, I noticed the wiring had been laid on something that resembles compacted polystyrene. Is this acceptable? if I was trying to rectify the problem, by replacing the broken tiles, can I tile over this stuff using flexible adhesive? (that is of course, I can get the wires out of the old adhesive!)

I would appreciate any advice given.
Many thanks,
Tony

D

Daz

Any chance of any pics Tony?

The polystyrene boards are the insulation boards, which should hopefully be secured to the substrate (screed?). Normally, there would be a latex slc over the wires but some tilers will cover the wires with adhesive.

Are you sure that the tiles have been D&D'd and have not just cracked because there hasn't been a decoupling membrane used?

Pics will help us diagnose the possible issues, so that we can give you the best advice.

BTW welcome to tilersforums.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Both marmox style (with the cement backing) and the type without will probably be blue in colour, either are fine for solid floors, and with either, when pulling up a tile, you will probably see the blue stuff.

It's the fixing method here I assume without more info or pics.

You can use a flexible single-part over either, though a latex or acrylic based 2-part adhesive can only be used on the type with the cement backing on the insulation. Reason for that is the chemicals in the polymers can 'scorch' it or effectively burn it.

O

Oliver3

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome, and for the advice.
No pic's at the mo but I'm going back in the morning to have a closer look. Regarding the dob n dab, I can see that has been done as there is no threshold cover and can see the gaps under the tiles!
Not going to do anything drastic tommorrow but may try and lift one the tiles that has broken.
May try and get some pic's on here 2moz.
Again, many thanks for the advice.

Reply to Problems with UHF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Problems with UHF
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.