Discuss Protilers - tiling in Acton, W5 in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

I had to start another job today!!!!.........this one is in Acton, W5......

The job is 500 x 500 on the floor and 200 x 100 on the walls....brick fashion.......
the last time I was here the plasterer was scratch coating the wall off a scaffold board!.....
and nothing else existed in the room!!!

I presumed that he would flat float the wall (as per my prep request!)....
but he has not, and now.............. I cant!.......so I have a bit of a hill to climb!!!!

never mind!

here is the start!

img1986eq.jpg

img1987mr.jpg

img1988pm.jpg

img1989km.jpg

img1990q.jpg

img1991h.jpg

all the best

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Protilers

Nice work lee! Your slc looks very tidy, what's your method when going over wires? What slc do you use and how thick?

ps, I usually go over the wires in two goes as I like to use my pin rake

Hi Charlie,.....I use a plastering trowel.....a midget trowel.......a margin trowel and a pin roller at the end!.....the SLC is whatever I need for the situation...Depths etc...

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

Evening all!!!!!.......

hope you are well!!!!........

just got home from work and decided to upload some piccy's of this job so far.....

I put a level on my screed today and as suspected it is flat.......not level......oh well.....that is a result IMO........ so I started tiling:

img1993b.jpg

img1995f.jpg

The set out is center of door (whole tile) and good size cuts all round.......almost identical around the bath and along the first part of the shower wall (the main focal point!......

img1996ju.jpg

img1998km.jpg

img2001y.jpg

job done.........

I started checking the datum for the wall tiling that the builder has set........its good!....but not "perfect" (I will explain with pictures later!).....i am thinking small rip to the floor at the mo..............but,

Tomorrow is another day!

all the best lads

Lee

P

Protilers

Evening all.......

Well I guess I should tell you what happened today.........well here is the challenge on this job:

img2002d.jpg

the builder (great guy) has built a datum in which the tiling must be recessed.....can you see the lip?

and he requires whole tiles up against the lip.......(so would I)......problem is the datum is not perfect and the tiles leave a sloping cut to the unlevel but flat floor......

so I decided that on the shortest wall I would tile downwards from the top and then transfer the levels to the other walls......seemed logical to me......

img2003gc.jpg

first wall up and I am over the moon......(other than the slither cut to the floor!).......when I transfered the lines across......I put a batten on the wall and tiled in the normal fashion.....and guess what......I came up short of the datum!!!! gravity had got the better of me!!!!!! and the tiles had slipped by a mm here or there and there is no room for errror (at all!).................DOH!......

A little bit of thinking and re measuring......and I think I have sussed it out......major problem is the datum loses 2mm around the room..........and I dont want to trim the upper tiles.....

think I have it sussed now!!!!!

img2005tv.jpg

I still have a way to go............cross your fingers for me!!!!!!

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

Just lock the pendulum to track the datum set by builder then, is that what you have done?

No mate......I started off with 2mm spacers and tiled down........there was some slippage.....so on the other walls I have switched to a 3mm spacer......matching the slippage (sort of).......my datum was set out from the lowest point of the bead...and I need to "tweak" joins all the way through.........worst part is some of these beads are vertical......and I have not got there yet!!!!!........OMG.....

watch this space!

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

Just lock the pendulum to track the datum set by builder then, is that what you have done?....edit.... Just thinking, you have external corner, assuming that's plumb then your tiles will need to be level

Charlie......I apologise.....I have never seen the 089k..............my tools got robbed in april and i got the "new" 088k.........and you are absolutly correct there is an 089k.......do you have one........any good?

tool shop for me tommorrow!

sorry.........

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

Evening all.......here is what has gone on in Acton over the last couple of working days!......

img2019hd.jpg

first off I had to plug the massive holes left by the plumber...rapid set.....no probs....

img2021jh.jpg

Started tiling the back of the shower..........

img2023im.jpg

back done.........3m high!!!!!

img2024db.jpg

next was the "access" panel for the bath.......still taking good care to "wrap" the tiles.......

img2025d.jpg

img2026l.jpg

img2027kf.jpg

job sorted.........on the sand and cement wall......

img2028k.jpg

still hitting the rebated bead......Great!!!

img2031ox.jpg

img2033j.jpg

As I got to the window in the shower there was another little problem....I will fix that tommorrow....but I have managed to hit all the set out the client required by changing spacer size and wiggling!!!....
three hole tiles off the bath and whole tile and half tile "almost" everywhere else............

tough little job IMO......

all the best

Lee

C

charlie1

Hi lee, pics looking good, one bit of advice for you though, be more forceful with whoever dictated where your tiles need to go... That's your job to decide that, now you have that small cut round the bottom ( that would do my head in, not because it can't be done, it's just unnecessary if you where involved in the setting out) ... Grrr, makes me sweat just looking at the cuts on that bottom row. Very nice job though lee.

Reply to Protilers - tiling in Acton, W5 in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all Having a bit of a mare; after having my last shower installation botched (but thankfully...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
Hi all, I was hoping to get some input/help on this situation. Background: We had 12 x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hi all! First post in a long time! A tiler I’ve used to do a bathroom is complaining that the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB