Discuss Quartz tiles fixing to plyboard in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

no problem with ply ,most on here say no you must not use it,well i have laid tiles on ply for years with no problems ,ply to be as thick as you can screwed every 4 inch square so there is no movement,ask at your tile store for the best flexible adhesive and grout you can buy, make sure yo seal the ply and you should have no problems ,but better still get a tiler in to do it for you who isnt afraid to tile on ply

J

J Sid

Brian, i have seen many floors and wall's which have failed on ply.
The tile often cracks over the joint in the ply if a good adhesive is used and the tile remains stuck to the wood.
The tile pops of the wood if the wrong adhesive is used.
If you are going to use Ardex adhesive, for instance, they say two layers of ply should be laid over each other with joints staggered and the backs and edges seal with polyurethane varnish.
Ply is not water proof and moves due to damp in building.
If ply is down and can not be replaced for, say, hardie board, that's why i use detra over the top.
A couple of pics of cracks in ply when tiles were stuck well to the wood, and what can happen when moisture gets into the ply, even with detra.

Attachments

• WP_20130827_003.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 57
  • WP_20130418_003.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 54
Julian ,the jobs that you have seen cant have been done right in the first place then can they ,the adhesives that i use say on the bags ,if tiling onto ply you must ......etc are they wrong also? i have no problem with people using hardie backer boards or other boards ,what i do have a problem with is folk telling people that you can not use ply

Reply to Quartz tiles fixing to plyboard in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB