Discuss quartz tiles over floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GaryS

It is not a case of walking away on this one as this client will pay to get it right if i can tell him why it needs to be done a particular way i just need to be able to tell him why. im not that confident that the floor is deflection free as there is still a few squeaks in the floor when walking on it , but i will be happy to go to client and say sry i wont do this job unless this is done first. seems this is a job that has very specific requirements and id like to get right as this is a customer that has a lot of properties and i mean a lot so its regular income its a glasgow based job so i may consider subbing the work out

G

GaryS

floor now has 12mm ply over the top of the original 9m ply and feels pretty solid walk away advice may be the easy way but this one has to be done i have spoken to ball rep who recconmends fastflex as as screed then rapidset with ad1 additive as addy seems they wont reconmend 1 addy *** its quartz over the floating floor the addy for quartz doesnt work with floating floor ect lol so if any of you guys have exp on what addy to use without bieng silly and spending £700 on an addy as a screed it would help

G

GaryS

just for the record guys i am a flooring installer however it is normaly laminate hardwood or karndean floors i do, tiling iv'e ony done a few times so it takes me a while to get it right but i get there measuring and cutting i do all day every day just diff tools, setting the job out and getting it flush i can already do just some of the technical stuff i need a little help on. this floor isnt one i can walk from it would cost future work and probably a lot of future work so i need to get it right. as most you guys will have experienced some tilers will turn up and say it can be done regardless of problems, my customer is a fairly clued up guy but he like most customers wont part with cash unless i can explain why the floor will fail if he doesnt follow the correct procedure, i've learned a lot just looking through the posts here. there was existing tiles in the kitchen area in this job for years that were fine on just 9mm ply so getting customer to pay for the extra ply was just in the way of peace of mind for him. fortunately he knows im not a tiler so there really wouldnt be a comeback however i won't do the job if i know it will fail as i wont do that to anyone.

T

The D

just for the record guys i am a flooring installer however it is normaly laminate hardwood or karndean floors i do, tiling iv'e ony done a few times so it takes me a while to get it right but i get there measuring and cutting i do all day every day just diff tools, setting the job out and getting it flush i can already do just some of the technical stuff i need a little help on. this floor isnt one i can walk from it would cost future work and probably a lot of future work so i need to get it right. as most you guys will have experienced some tilers will turn up and say it can be done regardless of problems, my customer is a fairly clued up guy but he like most customers wont part with cash unless i can explain why the floor will fail if he doesnt follow the correct procedure, i've learned a lot just looking through the posts here. there was existing tiles in the kitchen area in this job for years that were fine on just 9mm ply so getting customer to pay for the extra ply was just in the way of peace of mind for him. fortunately he knows im not a tiler so there really wouldnt be a comeback however i won't do the job if i know it will fail as i wont do that to anyone.

then don't do the job! you have been given good advice but you are still searching for the miracle fix but it dose not exist, in short the sub-straight is unsuitable for tiling.

G

GaryS

lol most manufaturers will do the same they will always find something that means its not there fault, it seems that there may be a potential problem with the adhesive that should be used for a floating floor causing the quartz tiles to curl and the addy for quartz tiles isnt reconmended for a floating floor so its going to be a problem one way or another. I need to be able to give customer a best compromise solution as he will not rip up floor to cement screed it or put in proper joists he will just keep reminding me that the kitchen had been tiled for years on only 9mm ply and that quartz tiles are really strong tiles. it seems a call to mapie technical line is needed to find out which addy will work with these tiles and a floating floor and then a small test area done to make sure it doesnt all go pear shaped.

Reply to quartz tiles over floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I've read a few forum comments or articles about the dangers of laying tiles over...
Replies
Views
I was supposed to have a concrete floor finish so I have a contemporary floor look. The...
Replies
Views
Please can somebody share their knowledge and let me know if I’m on the right track, i.e do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
quartz tiles over floating floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.