Discuss quartz tiles over floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GaryS

I cant guarantee the floor will be deflection free I can only do what can be done to strengthen it as ripping up floor and replacing with joists and dwangs is not an option, nor is a cement based screed, apart from anything else there are access issues on this one as its a penthouse apartment so joists ect would prob have to be craned in making the cost of doing so really prohibitive there are also heating pipes under the floating floor running all over the place that makes cement based screed unusable without burying the existing pipes in concrete, it has been hard enough just getting ply onto this job as even that barely goes up the stairs and doesnt fit in lift.

The adhesive apparently can warp these tiles if the incorrect one is used so it remains an issue with the tiles.

These tiles are really beautiful tiles but omg what a headache to get them fitted.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
its up to you gary,your choice,the guys have given you the best advice on here and its up to you if your going to follow it or not

do not let the lure of a big job make you choose the wrong route,you may think your making money and potentially more work down the line but if it goes wrong it could seriously harm your business and reputation

you said earlier in your posts the customer would pay for whatever needed done ,well it doesnt seem that way to me.
you will be his 1st port of call if it fails

good luck

G

GaryS

No its a dry area gooner a living room, kitchen and hallway.

Yep i hear you kilty it seems a lot on here would just walk from this one, Customer will pay for what needs done within reason if i can say to him it will definately fail otherwise like most customers persuading them to part with cash for prep that they didnt expect to have to pay for can be fun.

I doubt I will be able to eliminate the risk of a floating floor on this one completely as it just isnt practical to do so all i can do is minimise the risk and customer is aware of this.

G

GaryS

Customer chose ball stone and tile ptb (He spoke to ball technical) and after having done most of the floor and having over half a ton of tiles sitting on a small area it seems to have worked really well floor goes from 5mm bed to 15mm bed in areas to keep it flat this job has cost a lot in addy alone it seems ball are real interested in the results of this one to promote there ptb addy

G

GaryS

this floor is now really solid dave its had 9mm ply then 12mm ply then the weight of the addy and 12mm quartz tiles on top so I doubt it will move the main issue i had was the floor followed the shape of the concrete so getting it flat was fun. If it stands up to having that amount of weight on a small area of the floor I would be very surprised if normal every day use will make any difference in 6 months or 6 years

Reply to quartz tiles over floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I've read a few forum comments or articles about the dangers of laying tiles over...
Replies
Views
I was supposed to have a concrete floor finish so I have a contemporary floor look. The...
Replies
Views
Please can somebody share their knowledge and let me know if I’m on the right track, i.e do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
quartz tiles over floating floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.