Discuss Question re taking on a job.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Hi all.

I have been asked to tile a floor in a bowling club toilet that I am a member of. In total the area comes to about 10 sqm.

The substrate is concrete however has been painted (several times) and then had some kind of epoxy resin put on top of the paint - we have no idea why! (see attached picture).

Floor Picture.jpg

I have seen the original building plans from 1967/68 and the contrete floor us made up as follows (I’ve also taken a picture of the plan drawing) :

Upfill
4” bottoming blended with ashes
Visqueen DPC
4” concrete
1” grano topping

Orginal Plans.jpg

My first question is that I’m assuming the top layer(s) of epoxy and paint will need to be removed and taken back to the grano topping before any tiling can commence? If so, is it a case of plenty elbow grease or is there some kind of product that can assist with the removal?

Secondly is this a job that a ‘domestic’ tiler like myself should be contemplating taking on (I’m thinking from a liability point of view) or is it best left up to a larger company to do? I'm thinking that this job probably border lines on commercial work.

I do have a couple of other questions regarding this job regarding tile sourcing etc, however I’ll leave them until I hear what the general consensus is with regards to taking this job on.

Thanks,
Rich

R

RDTiling

I scraped a very small section with the end of a crow bar (was lying around from when they took out the existing fittings etc) and it came away with a bit of scraping back down to the grano. hopefully the rest of the floor will be the same. I would think a bit of a hoover and a prime will be in order after the paint layers have been removed.

There are joiners going in on Monday to fit new stud work and put up partition walls, change windows etc, so I'm not going in for a couple of a weeks.

R

RDTiling

Sorry, I missed the earlier reference to a slurry coat.

Am I right to say that if I mixed say 1 ltr of water, I'd use 1 ltr of sbr and then add a non flexible powder to the mix until it's combined but watery for easy spreading.

ive been caught on he back foot with this job as the first toilet area to be done was supposed to be in the newer extension onto a timber floor. I was hoping to leave this area until the end to allow me to build up more experience as I knew there would be more work involved, so apologies for all the questions.

R

RDTiling

I've done a bit of www searching on slurry coats and if what I read/watch is correct, it would appear as though the slurry coat should be applied with a stiff brush. Is this correct or can you trowel a slurry coat on with say a plasterers trowel?

Is there a certain kind of cementitious powder I should use (or someone could recommend using) for the slurry coat or can I simply use something like weber.set rapid (non flexible)?

Then it is 'simply' a matter of letting the slurry set and then tile (assuming I dont need to apply SLC) on top.

Apologies for the questions, I just want to make sure I get the preparation spot on.

Thanks,
Rich

R

RDTiling

Thanks again Geoff. One final question for you regarding the preparation stage. Do you know roughly the proportions to mix for a 10 sqm room, particularly the water to sbr ratio so that I know how much I need to buy and quote for? What would be the rough amount of powder to add ( I know there won't be an exact amount but just so I know the rough consistency to mix to) Thanks again, Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

Thanks again Geoff. One final question for you regarding the preparation stage. Do you know roughly the proportions to mix for a 10 sqm room, particularly the water to sbr ratio so that I know how much I need to buy and quote for? What would be the rough amount of powder to add ( I know there won't be an exact amount but just so I know the rough consistency to mix to) Thanks again, Rich

First of all, slurry mixes are really supposed to be only SBR & cement mix. I have over time messed around and found it flows & rolls out much better with water mixed in with the SBR. I started out as many do with a 50/50 cement/SBR mix but found it too thick and hard to roller out.

Start with adding a litre of water to 2 litres of SBR. Then add 5kg adhesive to the mix. Once all mixed together the mix should be fairly fluid but not too runny. Adjust the mix accordingly so it's loose enough to roller out. Use more SBR if needed, not water.

R

RDTiling

Thanks Geoff. Great advice and a detailed reply as always. I think I'm armed with everything now to properly prepare this floor as it is a new one for me.

Im just waiting in confirmation on the tiles they are looking for, but I understand they would like a curved edging on the tiles to make it easier for cleaning and to protect the aqua panel that is going on the walls. Many of the committee member would've preferred the walls tiled but a majority voted for aqua panel.

I'm hoping their decision isn't going to restrict the choice of anti slip tiles they can have for the floor, as I've never used the curved edging tiles before.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Question re taking on a job.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
Hello every body. I've been our of tiling business for years just start a mear to work in it...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB