UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Quite few Bodged jobs posted lately. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I have over the last few months seen a numberof things happening.
1. People are losing jobs and having to try and move into trades that they do not know.
2. People are taking on more than they can handle as a result presumably of fear of losing work
3. People diversifying into areas they wold Normally employ an expert to carry out.

All this is leading to "substandard" work and poor workmanship. I guess it is an inevitable consequence of the recession. Things have taken a deffinite turn for the worse over the last eight weeks or so. Even the self build ,aren't which has remained bouyant through the recession seems to have slowed recently.
..........And now it's blooming raining again

A

Aston

possibly its a case of desperate times create desperate people and all that.
many builders, joiners i know etc dont rate tiling. they think anyone with half a brain can do it. all as i hear is tilings easy, tiling aint a trade, anyone can tile.....and then you see the results?? same with plastering. people think if they can skim a small room, then they are a plasterer. sign of the times i'm afraid..

A

Aston

So... are we helping the bodgers or just the ones that really want to do a good job..

i suppose we are doing a few things with our advice
1. helping the bodgers
2. helping the people who want a good job.
3. doing our bit to improve the industry and set a consistant standard to all work to
4. putting ourselves out of work by telling others how to do our job

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
where are they buying there tiles .a good tile shop always has good tilers to recomend. yes sometimes cost. sometimes cant wait for the recommended person. sometimes did it myself but tell every one had a bad builder .sometimes builders saveing a few quid .sometimes just bad spec

Whilst this is a old sentiment in practice it is not always in the tile shops interests to Recomend a "good" tiler. Dont forget they are probably just as desperate for orders as everyone else so recommending a cheap tiler is sometimes going to be more in their interests as they are more likely to win an order. Short termist approach I know but an entirely human response to very difficult times i am sad to say.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Whilst this is a old sentiment in practice it is not always in the tile shops interests to Recomend a "good" tiler. Dont forget they are probably just as desperate for orders as everyone else so recommending a cheap tiler is sometimes going to be more in their interests as they are more likely to win an order. Short termist approach I know but an entirely human response to very difficult times i am sad to say.
a tile shop that recomends a poor tilers is on a one way street to closing for good

merit

TF
on a normal domestic bathroom its normaly a week turn a round for us,if its the plumbers job , he would only be there couple of hours rip out ,day to first fix, day to second fix,hes not loosing work if he can have a go at tiling,if theres loads on he wont be interested in the tiling side ,just sub it out,start another one,things are tight now
so i find ill get a call of some tilers if its something they cant manage or frightened of
porcelain wet rooms ect

martin1c

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Price will always be a consideration. The only way to combat it is to spend more time with customers at quote stage and explain exactly what you do and how you are going to go about completing their job. You can soften customers up like this as the bodgers don't know what they're doing so they won't be able to give explanations to customers. Another trick is to use your website/flyer to point out things that you always do such as use correct adhesives (not cheap ones), use water-proof backing boards, tank all wet areas. My website says that all wet areas are tanked, it's not an option and I find people ask me about it at quote stage because the feel like they are getting something extra.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Cheshire
... but when they say, 'ooh I'm not bothered about all that just want it done cheap' you know you've wasted your time and diesel!
Some people just don't see the false economy in the service they are buying.

I think it's better to find out about people like this as early as possible so as not to waste any more time on them. I use their telephone manner as a guide to what they are like too. Anyone who starts the call off with 'what it is....', I've lost interest or anyone who immediately tells me they want a cheap price. Some people are just not worth bothering with and that's one of the benefits to being self-employed. Anyone I don't like, I don't work for.

Reply to Quite few Bodged jobs posted lately. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.