Discuss Rant Rant Rant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

ok its not very often I mention pricing but I will break that rule.

While mainly I work on a price per M2 I will balance that out with a daywork rate. ie dont expect me to drive 20 miles each way to fix 2 m2 !! for a m2 rate....that wouold be daywork.
I have an amount I expect to earn and if I cant make that on a m2 rate then I need my day rate. I think thats fair !
I also believe that when work is slack its best to take any work to get some money in. As long as its worthwhile.

Recently I was offered work with another tiler and I thouoght it woould be decent work so I accepted. I never discussed rates as he came reccomended to me.
1st job was ok, plenty to go at and seeing as I am quite fast at fixing, overall the money at the end of the job was ok....not fantastic but better than sitting at home.
2nd job was a toilet in an office, about 1.8m high so no cuts top or bottom and fairly easy to do. When the money arrived , I then noticed the rate @ £10m2. With tax off I was getting £8 less travel expenses. I wasnt happy at all but as I have said before it was better than sitting at home and afterall it was easy work.
3rd job was a straight floor and it was done in 2 1/2 days , just picked my cheque up to see the rate was still £10 m2. !!! Now ok call me slow or maybe too laid back but this has peeved me. I am finding this all to be an insult now.

Ok so today, another job, which promised to be a large floor with 450mm tiles. I thought theat a large straight area could be good for the way I work and money could be made even at a low rate. I hadnt seen the job so I looked at a website for the chain of wine bars/pub for the same company. I saw nice open areas and decent tiling.
When I arrived on site, after unloading all my gear, cutters tools buckets etc. I needed to find parking. So I duly found a reasonable place for £4.10 a day. I walked back to site to see the guy I was doing the work for. He showed me the floor. So its full tile squared off the bar front, which is at 45 degrees to the rest of the room, so effect the whole room is on the diamond. There are round coloumns to cut around and there are 8 acrow`s in various places that will need a tile leaving out until they can be removed at a later date. The lighting is festoon lights and fairly dim. The floor in the main is newish screed but it meets a few areas that are old geometric tiles which over the years have been covered with various coverings. These coverings have now been removed but have left large amounts of rubbery glue.
I laid a straight edge across the surfaces to find that the new screed wasnt too bad but not flat, then I laid across the screed and old tiled areas to see that there would be a lot of making good to do. I suggested SLC but it was dismissed right away and I was told to bed up. Now I thought this was a bit excessive but I agreed to try.
Then I was told that the adhesive hadnt arrived and there was only 3 20kg bags to be getting on with. Well there was a young lad in another room that also needed adhesvive to be getting on with so he had 1/2 a bag and I used the other 2 1/2 bags. I only fixed 6m2 of tiles...this was onto the screed which every tile laid needed packing up ! God only knows how much adhesive will be needed on the really bad areas.
Anyway that was at 11am today, no adhesive had arrived so I have left the site. I have no intention of returning at all unless the rate is doubled...which I know wont happen ! So basically another wasted day for me.

At the moment the chap I was working for doesnt know I have left site. He was due to call me when the delivery of adhesive was due but hasnt so far, so I can only assume that if I had stayed on site I would be still waiting....unpaid !!!.

D

david campbell

unfortunately its a sign of the times,they can pay peanuts because there are a lot of desperate people out there who would probably work for less,being self employed on site has always been like this,even years ago when i worked with the old mans brickie squad you never got a coin for waiting time even if it was the comapies fault,there was once a crane blocking of site access for all the trades forlift for almost a full shift and guess what we all got?...........nothing,just a shrug of the shoulders,it'll never change and the attitude is-if you don't like go elsewhere!

G

Gazzer

An update. Had my voice heard and we negotiated a higher rate but I have only said I will finish the week off and then no more. I have to say that they guy who I am working for is very understanding regarding the low rate and other issues. I didnt really want to return to site but at least I will be able to make up my day rate over the next 2 days...Not ideal but sometimes it has to be done. I was hopiong to pull a few jobs forward but it didnt happen this time. I really dont want 2 day at home losing money again.

P

Pebbs

Rant away hun it does us good.

Lets get this into presceptive here. First priority for me is the rate the lads get paid, you pay peanuts you get monkeys (although it has been noted in the past there is a passing resemblance to the aforementioned primate and a couple of my boys). I tell the lads straight from the off what the rate is, I have to be open and frank about these things, its horrible for a man to do a days work and not know how much m2 hes got to have to do to get a decent wage. Ramic the guy your subbing of, should have told you from the off what the rate was, and what the job involved, that way if theres a few sticky points on the rates, he should have sorted it out with you in advance.

Secondly, how far does 3 bags of adhesive go..? no where. Everyone knows to order up in advance and get it on site ready and waiting (except when I forgot a few weeks ago, but thats a rarity which I still havent lived down).

To my mind, the rate is so low its rock bottom, hes creaming of the top for himself trust me on that. I know you dont like sitting at home, but heres a bit of advice, dont any of you be backwards in coming forward. When it comes to asking how much am I getting for this? What is it these days, you all afraid to talk about money? sort the money out first and then do the work when your happy with the rate. I am totally aware its bad out there, but dont let someone take the p out of you, you do not have mug tatooed on your foreheads...(at least I think you dont).

Lynn

G

Gazzer

Just a little update, I returned to site today but I have told the tiling contractor that I would only be finishing the week off, Now whether he fully understood or not I am not sure but he hasnt told the other tiler on site anything.
Now talking to the other tiler, he agrees about teh low rate etc etc and then what does he do ?? he leaves the site about 1pm !!! He had just been saying the rate is bad and he isnt earning then leaves !

The site manager who I must say has been a gem to me, told me later as I was cleaning up that this other tiler always leaves early and that when he 1st came on the job he was only doing 3 hours a day !

Anyway a little upshot of the whole situation is that the management are not so happy with the tiling companies performance up to date especially as I had a real good day today and now they realise how slow the other guy is. I got asked for a card but I had to refuse and say I wouldnt poach work.....but my company name is on the clothing I wear ;)

Al@Lifetiles

TF
Arms
£10 per m2.?... I dont know where to start with that one. Whilst i appreciate we all have to make a living, bills to pay, all that stuff i just dont see how a tiler can make a decent wage on that kind of money. Take off tax, tools, motor, lunch, parking, it just isnt worth it.
I despair really and i feel angry and a little depressed that quality tradesmen are working for these wages.
If prices for fixing have really been driven down that low through a glut of tilers all looking for work then its time to change occupation for me personally.
We will get a "grapes of wrath" situation where meterage keeps falling if people keep doing the work for that money. One day its £10 then its £8 then we all do it for free and starve!
I dont have any answers either which is the most frustrating part, we cant form unions for a minimum wage as it just wouldnt work.
Anyway sorry for the rant and all tilers out there grafting i salute you.

D

Dave Ramsden

How how how can you even break even working at £8 per m. Its just not possible on the easiest straight forward of jobs. There is a minimum rate that we all know we will work for and we strive to get that little but more so clients get a professional finish. All this haggling and price cutting has to stop and let normal service resume. Diesel has risen once more today, think on!

G

Gazzer

So latest on this job. Despite the set back on the 1st day when we had no adhesive, the 2nd day was a belter, I got there today to grout what I had done and carry on with some awkward cuts. I had thought that I was on to a loser today and that yesterday hard work would all dissapear overal.
Considering I left site today at 12 noon, due to have worked up to a place where I had to leave access for other trades to walk through and i couldnt possibly continue fixing. The fact that the 1st day I was off site at 11am, I have had a measure up and it works out that I have actually made almost 4 days money based on my day rate.
Sadly though I know I will be getting a call asking me when I can go back but I am already booked up all next week and at least the following monday too. There could still be money to be earned but the rate still stinks and its not something I can forget.
The tiling contractor will just have to do some himself or/and get his other lad ( who seems to only work 4 hours a day) to carry on with the floor.

turnip

TF
Arms
unfortunately £10/msq is the going rate right now, (generally i pay more) with twice-monthly or monthly payments as standard. I heard of one TC who will give their fixers twice monthly if they pay £7.50 off the invoice to have it processed quicker. We are in a terrible state right now, if there are fixers out there still earning £200 a day then your lucky.
The days of earning that money are over. For subbies who think that TC's are earning loads out of their fixers, then they are wrong! While the subbies are in the pub moaning about how they cant make money (work a full day then?) I am pricing/estimating/writing cheques/book-keeping etcetc, hmrc clown-show to deal with once a month. Sure, im not doing it for nothing, but dont expect me to do it for free! Then theres the risk, tens of thousands of pounds worth of materials need to be paid for end of month or account is on stop. Builders late in paying (not all but some), the aggro, the snags, the remedials, the dayworks and extras that dont get paid........ I have seen it from both sides, but remember the companies are winning tiling contracts at 25-30% less than they used to, how could wages ever stay the same?

Reply to Rant Rant Rant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Rant Rant Rant
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.