UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Ratedpeople.com in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

ian158

Stay well clear of any companies like these,all they want is to make money,after all they are a business,i have used this method of trying to get work,but all i found out that you pay and pay and pay oh and also pay to them monthly and for the text messages,plus all the fuel you`ll need to run all over to do the quoting,but never get the jobs,all a big CON,stay well clear or you will lose out.

im sorry but i disagree, yes you do pay a fee, but I make it back somewhere along the line, and until ive got a few years behind me were ive been established I really cannot complain.

D

DHTiling

im sorry but i disagree, yes you do pay a fee, but I make it back somewhere along the line, and until ive got a few years behind me were ive been established I really cannot complain.

We are all entitled to our opinions, what works for one might not another... so simply state that and leave others to sate their opinions..

I see above you have been trading just over a year, it states 20 yrs + on your web page...

I

ian158

We are all entitled to our opinions, what works for one might not another... so simply state that and leave others to sate their opinions..

I see above you have been trading just over a year, it states 20 yrs + on your web page...

ive been doing up my own houses , and learning the trades needed for over 20 years, self taught, inbetween the times of coming in and out of the industry I have work in the film and tv industry building sets, having had enough of travelling to london for the last 8 years, i decided to channel my work back into the building game, so trading as image services for 1 year yes ? is that a problem ?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed

Thank you Dave. I was trying to lead myself round to this question with my posts on Ian's profit. Just didn't quite know how to word it without potentially putting peoples backs up.

I was going to say to you Ian that if you are going to use an open forum where quite clearly DIY'ers and maybe potential customers will see your posts amoung others i would re-word your initial post or adjust the blurb on your website. Not trying to single you out or be over critical but if i read a post stating you've been trading a little over a year and then follow the link through your signature to your website stating trading for 20 years? It sharply raised my eyebrows, and Dave's picked up on it as well.
Not doubting you, just trying to be constructive without offending that's all.

Ali

I

ian158

Thank you Dave. I was trying to lead myself round to this question with my posts on Ian's profit. Just didn't quite know how to word it without potentially putting peoples backs up.
I was going to say to you Ian that if you are going to use an open forum where quite clearly DIY'ers and maybe potential customers will see your posts amoung others i would re-word your initial post or adjust the blurb on your website. Not trying to single you out or be over critical but if i read a post stating you've been trading a little over a year and then follow the link through your signature to your website stating trading for 20 years? It sharply raised my eyebrows, and Dave's picked up on it as well.
Not doubting you, just trying to be constructive without offending that's all.
Ali

I will take on board what you have said , but my website says 20 yrs experience, not trading, so there is a difference? I have the experience, but image as a company, with me in it has been trading a year, I don't think people need to know how long I have been trading, but experience they do.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I watched rogue traders the other night and there was a "roofer" on there who kept making profiles on these types of websites, under different names, getting jobs and then not finishing them - often taking most of the money first. Non of the jobs on the show passed building control.

So either A) the customers were going with a guy with no feedback and spending 30k with him (can't see the point in having a rating system on there if you choose a guy with no ratings) or B) he had false feedback (or feedback from £10 jobs and then ripped off the 30k job).

Either way it proves it isn't fool proof and you can still get ripped off. If you build a presence yourself using your own website your customers can always check the age of that domain name using the governing body for it (so for .co.uk it's nominet.org.uk).

Just thought I'd say before I forgot about that.

Rogue Trader Geeza Dom searched a few of the websites and found him.

Sorry not been on for a while. Things been up/down, off and on.

I just had an interesting point to make on this topic. 2 yrs ago, I bought a lead off ratedpeople that cost me £3.

The lead said 3m2 bathroom floor Travertine, my first stone job. Turned out to be a full bathroom. Affluent area of young professionals etc, budget was reasonable, so I got the lead and got the job.

When almost finished, the neighbours came round to have a look, I've become their favoured workman. Done at least 6 plumbing jobs for them, and will be doing 2 large tiling projects for them next year, once they have the extension built. The neighbours brother, owns a string of properties, so I have been reffered to him, and done a job re-building a shower enclosure.

The tennants of the property are very pleased with the new enclosure, and how considerate I was to be clean and tidy with a new-born baby in the house. So the lady of the house reffered me to another landlord/friend of hers, of which I have already done 2 jobs for, and the bloke has got me lined up on a good sized commercial job. Of which this could be the first of 4 for him, and if his business model works, the hotel chain may roll it out as a template for all their hotels!! That would be like hitting the jackpot!! All from a £3 lead.

I just got to get this big job done, and I'll start building my own website. RP membership up for renewal soon, so I'm hopeful this will be the last year I use it.

EDIT : Should be done for 1st July, so it could be my first JOTM entry!! 90m2/7 rooms.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
T

toast

I used rated people at the beginning of the year, when I was a little quite they gave me a £12 introductory fee three month trial.
After three months of it I did not renew my registration with them.
I did get some good work and also some follow up work of clients that had used me.
But the system they use is very unfair to the tradesman.
You pay for a lead which based on the alleged value of the work required.
Three quotes is the maximum number of quotes that can be given to the client for one job. And I then suppose the client then has choice, to pick one or pick none!
Which is fair enough.
What I dislike about it is the ignorant clients that do not reply to your attempted contacts, then you have to go about getting your lead money back, or no you don't get your lead money back! You end up getting credited with a lead. This simply does not work, you should have the money refunded for the lead.
I have made numerous complaints to ratedpeople over the way the tradesman is treated. If I where to rate ratedpeople, 1-5 stars, they would get 1 for tradesman support.
I calculated that 25% of the money I made from jobs, went to lead fees of both unsuccessful and successful leads.
Try it if you wish, but be prepared to be frustrated.

Q

quantasm

I watched rogue traders the other night and there was a "roofer" on there who kept making profiles on these types of websites, under different names, getting jobs and then not finishing them - often taking most of the money first. Non of the jobs on the show passed building control.

So either A) the customers were going with a guy with no feedback and spending 30k with him (can't see the point in having a rating system on there if you choose a guy with no ratings) or B) he had false feedback (or feedback from £10 jobs and then ripped off the 30k job).

Either way it proves it isn't fool proof and you can still get ripped off. If you build a presence yourself using your own website your customers can always check the age of that domain name using the governing body for it (so for .co.uk it's nominet.org.uk).

Just thought I'd say before I forgot about that.

Rogue Trader Geeza Dom searched a few of the websites and found him.

Even the Greek Biker on Rogue Traders / Watchdog has been done for benefit fraud now! What hope do any of us have? :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ratedpeople.com in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi any info on get rid of epoxy grout haze on natural stone would be much appreciated. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.