UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Re-Grout or Re-Tile for limited DIYer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

ngac

My grout is all cut and parts have fallen out.

Been having a look at potentially re grouting or retiling the shower.

My worries are if I Re-grout are
1) Do I need to remove ALL the old grout? I have a grouting tool but i think it will take 3 weeks to remove the grout with that. I was looking at the Bosch Multi Tool but seems expensive for the job?
2) IS it relatively easy job to regrout once the prep work done or am i best retiling the area.

My worries for retiling are
1) If I rip the tiles off do I need a new backboard (is this what is used in UK or is it just plasterboard)?

Thanks

N

ngac

Have you taken a couple of tiles off to see what the score is behind them at all? No
Do you have any pictures of the grout problem? I will take some tonight and link to them
Do you know what grout was used, by chance?
No its a new house

I dont think its going to be that damaged as its not too bad but I may be wrong (im no expert).

Ill get some pictures on and let the experts tell me.

I fancy the bosch multi tool but is 60 currently with no accessories and know its been 40 with no acc and 70 ish with 24 acc so im loathe to buy at 60 knowing it will be a better price soon!! I know im tight !!

I may try and use the scraper to see how long it will take. Does ALL current grout need fully removing?

N

ngac

For some reason when i link dropbox pics they are not coming through so ill try uploading!

IMG_1145.jpg IMG_1146.jpg IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1148.jpg

S

Stef

Hi, i have used these tiles a few times & to be honest i hate them but each to their own.

I would have issues with that mould in pic 4, how long has that silicone been removed?

Try & cut out the grout with a stanley knife, be careful not to catch the edge of the tiles, Its a pig of a job, get out as much old grout as you can & make sure no old grout is standing proud then regrout.

It wont be a big grout line anyhow as the chances are these tiles will have been butt jointed(No NO) or a 1mm/2mm at most.

Enjoy.

N

ngac

Hi, i have used these tiles a few times & to be honest i hate them but each to their own.

I would have issues with that mould in pic 4, how long has that silicone been removed?

Try & cut out the grout with a stanley knife, be careful not to catch the edge of the tiles, Its a pig of a job, get out as much old grout as you can & make sure no old grout is standing proud then regrout.

It wont be a big grout line anyhow as the chances are these tiles will have been butt jointed(No NO) or a 1mm/2mm at most.

Enjoy.

Thanks for your input.
Tiles are horrendous but unfortunately for us we bought the house in october and havnt got the funds really unless we need to retile.

The silicone has been removed for a couple of months. i keep meaning to resilicone but never seem to get round to it. Ill clean it up this weekend and do it. Is it just a case of scraping off silicone and any silicone sealant will do?

How desperate is the grouting in your opinion?

May just resilicone base and leave grout as is and retile the entire thing in 12 months if you think it would be ok

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The silicone has been removed for a couple of months. i keep meaning to resilicone but never seem to get round to it. Ill clean it up this weekend and do it. Is it just a case of scraping off silicone and any silicone sealant will do?

How desperate is the grouting in your opinion?

May just resilicone base and leave grout as is and retile the entire thing in 12 months if you think it would be ok

Has this been used since removing the silicone a couple of months ago?

I couldn't say for certain but it looks to me from the images provided that spacers either weren't used or if they were they were only 1mm. These particular tiles are a good 8mm thick i think aren't they? (thicker than average certainly, because of the mosaic effect profile, any slimmer and the tile tille be weak where the "decorative" grout lines are)

I'll cut to the chase to avoid waffling as little man has had me up most the night and i'm dead on my feet.

(8mm depth + 6mm (min) adhesive) x 1mm grout width on a plasterboard wall = Never going to happen. I can't even see BAL microflex staying pretty in between those tiles. IMO i think you need to be looking at either re-tile, or if you want a temp measure take an angle grinder to the wall and cut the lines a bit wider to accomodate grout.

Am i right in thinking you mentioned this was a new build?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
My only concern is any water damage behind the wall. The wall is only going to be plasterbaord with a property of that age. Either dot and dabbed on blockwork or if internal it's be screwed to a timber frame.

I would be looking to replace wall boarding and re-tile within 4-6 months.
Does your main bathroom have a shower in it? Why not just leave the shower cubicle out of commission until it's affordable to do it properly?

If you are intent or need to still use the shower then i'd suggest this:

Remove all silicone, vent windows and give it about a week to allow any moisture to dry out naturally.
I'd prehaps consider running a very fine bead of silicone along the grout joints in the cubicle and seal up tray, enclosure and corner joint with a quality silicone. You can buy silicone for about 99p a tube. Don't be tempted, even with a temp job. A sealant with microban will help with any mould and black spots. Even cheap silicone asthetically looks great, but consider health and hygiene as well. I've been to quite a few jobs over the year to investigate sealant problems by other fitters. I've seen some excellent work and finishing and it amazes me that said installer, tiler etc saves himself a couple of quid on a tube of silicone. Few months down the line after household use it shows.

This will get you by a couple of months. But i strongly suggest you look to sort it correctly sooner rather than later. Things can escalate rapidly. If the installer hasn't grouted or sealled up correctly or adeqautely then how well are they stuck to the wall itself? A falling tile will soon crack a stone resin tray. Then the cost will start to rack up!

Last edited:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Just out of interest; did you buy the house from the builder? I know it's been 8 years. But NHBC covers 10 years, it won't cover movement and settling damage of the property. Like cracks in plaster. This is what they would put the failed silicone down to. BUT, i think it would be worth a shot trying to find out who did the tiling, installation and kick up a bit of a fuss over it not being right. You never know.

S

Stef

If you want a quick fix till you can afford to retile then i would silicone all your grout lines, that way it should stop any water ingress.

I moved into my property 2 years ago & the upstairs shower leaked last year, the tiling is horrendous, i cut out all the old silicone & siliconed every grout line & every where else that the leak could come from & its still water tight. Its not pretty.

I only done this as a temporary measure till i ripped the whole thing out.

Just saw the top post from Ali there, :mad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Ste-Armer

Hg mould spray is really good for removing mould, I would completely get rid of the mould, remove all the old silicone again hg do a silicone remover which is very good. Then re-silicone.
Some of the grout in my bathroom cracked before I could afford to re-do it, so I just got a grout rake and scraped some of the grout and re-grouted. If there is cracked grout water will leak through and get behind the tiles then you could end up in a worse situation of the tiles coming off.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Re-Grout or Re-Tile for limited DIYer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.