Discuss Re-tiling a wet room floor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

RhysHughes78

Hello there everyone, I just have a question that I'm hoping to get some advice on if possible. I have been to look at a job where the customer would like their wet room floor re-tiled, I stated to them that I'm not sure what damage would happen to the substrates once I lift the tiles, especially as I don't know what has been used underneath! Has anyone done anything like this that might be able to advise?

Cheers.

Rhys.

I

Ian

can I ask what sort of circumstances you could come across bri? cheers

For example, a shower is leaking and it's coming through the ceiling downstairs. Until the old tiles have been removed, you will have no idea how bad the damage is, what materials are needed to repair and most importantly, how much labour will be required to put it right. I've got a pic somewhere of a shower that had been leaking for years, the damage was unbelievable, you would have had no idea what was lurking underneath until everything was removed. I'll have a look for the pic now.

I

Ian

sound bri. so he should even be prepared to replace damaged joists? lol

It's a possibility, here are those pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382638853.899271.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382638876.218290.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382638903.108768.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382638931.659774.jpg

Had to chop out a section of the stud and replace, the original tray was just a piece of ply with no tanking anywhere. Built a new frame, new former, tanked then it got tiled.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382639060.271281.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382639090.683695.jpg

I

Ian

Hi Bri, thanks for getting back to me, that's exactly what I said to the customer actually, they were fine with that. I was just wondering if when I pulled tiles up if it would cause any damaged to the tanking system etc? I know this is a hard question to answer as every job is different and you never know whats going to happen.

I would imagine the tanking will get damaged, it's one of those jobs that you will just have to play by ear. Strip it back and then you will have a clearer picture of what is actually required.

M

Mr Tiler

It's a possibility, here are those pics
View attachment 54813 View attachment 54814 View attachment 54815 View attachment 54816

Had to chop out a section of the stud and replace, the original tray was just a piece of ply with no tanking anywhere. Built a new frame, new former, tanked then it got tiled.

View attachment 54817 View attachment 54818
and I bet it was better than new once tiled mate lol nice work there why did ya raise the floor tho bri? just customer wanted it raised or was it to accom the waste?

I

Ian

and I bet it was better than new once tiled mate lol nice work there why did ya raise the floor tho bri? just customer wanted it raised or was it to accom the waste?

It was for the waste yes, and the existing shower door had to go back so, had to be the same size hole for it to go back into. It was an old cottage and, if I recall correctly, if the tray had been fitted flush to the floor the joists would have needed cutting and the waste pipe was cut straight through the sandstone wall and wasn't feasible to drop it down.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Just recently done this one Rhys

I told the customer that I would remove the offending tiles and charge for that procedure.

Next step was to assess what needed to be done to remedy the problem.

The problem was tiles loose, grout out of joints, broken tile, water coming back up through joints when walked on

Tanking was sound, had to just recreate falls to corner of drain and then tile with new mosaics

Wettray1.jpg Wettray2.jpg Wettray3.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Re-tiling a wet room floor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a walk in shower room ... Sort of a wet room but not quite. I used a kerdi style wet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB