Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Ready mixed adhesive grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

i wish to use 20cm square thin white glazed ceramic tiles on top of existing glazed tiles. this is on the walls round the bath, over which there is already a shower. the easiest option seems to be using the ready mixed tub of adhesive which also doubles as grout from unibond. will this stick to the underneath tiles ok? will the grout be ok for the shower area or should i use cement based seperate adhesive and grout? most of the wall is already tiled where the old shower cubicle was so i don't have time to hack everything off and render the walls so i just want to tile the bit further out than where the shower cubicle used to be . the existing tiles are on top of old tiles. thanks

I'm only tiling over one layer of tiles round the edges to extend the existing tiles which are tiled over the same layer of tiles and have been fine and sound for years. i remember seeing on the bal Dvd from topps tiles that it was ok to tile over existing tiles if they were sound. i will give the ready mixed a miss though based on your advice. i have half a bag and bottle of bal fastflex left over from a couple of years ago. it's been in tupperware and is still powdery so should be ok? do i need to prime the underneath glossy tiles with anything? i know a pro would rip everything out and start from scratch here but it's not possible for me to do without creating a massive extra work and cost or to do it before the residents get back in a few days hence the plan to patch it.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I too would re-tile properly.

I'd also give BAL a call to see what the shelf life of that batch of fastflex you have is, because although it may look fine, it's one of their adhesives that's more chemically and you could find a dodgy reaction of something has gone off in the bottle or the bag.

In general, you are safe tiling over tiles once, providing the total weight isn't more than what the substrate can take. In many cases it is too heavy for skimmed plaster, and bigger tiles always go over the weight of even the stronger plasterboard substrate.

S

SandyFloor

I'm only tiling over one layer of tiles round the edges to extend the existing tiles which are tiled over the same layer of tiles and have been fine and sound for years. i remember seeing on the bal Dvd from topps tiles that it was ok to tile over existing tiles if they were sound. i will give the ready mixed a miss though based on your advice. i have half a bag and bottle of bal fastflex left over from a couple of years ago. it's been in tupperware and is still powdery so should be ok? do i need to prime the underneath glossy tiles with anything? i know a pro would rip everything out and start from scratch here but it's not possible for me to do without creating a massive extra work and cost or to do it before the residents get back in a few days hence the plan to patch it.

Whatever you do, don't use this....it will be off and won't set. Is this a wind up?

Reply to Ready mixed adhesive grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Agree
    • Informative
Is the issue with ready mixed adhesive seemingly only recommended for 30x30 tiles max that it...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Which Tile Adhesive and grout brand did you use the most in the last 12 months? And also...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ready mixed adhesive grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.