UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Redoing floor after 2 years>Advice needed!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lukeb

Hi.
I am retiling 16m2 of porcelain tiles after whole floor has lifted up.It was originally tiled 2 years ago by contractor chipboard+12mm ply+flexible adhesive.After this winter all the tiles sound hollow underneath.Lifted one up and all of them come up by hands.Tiles can be reused as very clean but adhesive stuck to ply big time.

What will be the best solution, dont really want to scrape the old adhesive as its sound, I was going to smooth it over and than use Schluter Ditra and tile it again.It looks that all fault was caused by floor movement(as ceiling downstairs cracked and all mastic around skirting was ripped.

Is that a good idea?Please help.
Thanks.

L

lukeb

house is new build 12mm ply was installed in all floor tiling aplications (42 bathrooms aprox.7m2 each)and 1 kitchen was onto chipboard which has been faulty maybe because the area size 16m2????? i personaly think that is joist shrinkage to be blame.
i think i will go over existing adhesive (as its stuck like s...t to the shovel) with wet thin coat of flex and then ditra. hope it will work:smilewinkgrin:

L

lukeb

Thanks for all reply.All I can do is to guess what could be the cause of the movement.I dont think neither developer or house owner would agree to take the ceiling down to inspect what might go wrong.Ripping the ply NO OPTION as hi-quality kitchen witch granit worktops installed.So Try to get opinion what would be the best course of action.Before I start(Tomorrow) will let the developer that if they can find out what caused floor to move(at the end of the day is down to the manager or carpenter ,i dint know who else)to put it right and then get a tiler in to sort it out.

L

lukeb

Hello everyone.Thanks for all the comments.Had a chat witch project manager about investigating the cause of the movement in floor before refitting tiles otherwise I can not guarantee that problem will be solved.Answewr -TILE IT.

So started cleaning the tiles and Ditra is down.Another day of annoying scraping adhesive and grout of the tiles and Saturday fix it.Just wonder how long it going to last this time.
THANKS A LOT FOR ALL ADVICE .

S

sharpfamily

Hi.
I am retiling 16m2 of porcelain tiles after whole floor has lifted up.It was originally tiled 2 years ago by contractor chipboard+12mm ply+flexible adhesive.After this winter all the tiles sound hollow underneath.Lifted one up and all of them come up by hands.Tiles can be reused as very clean but adhesive stuck to ply big time.

What will be the best solution, dont really want to scrape the old adhesive as its sound, I was going to smooth it over and than use Schluter Ditra and tile it again.It looks that all fault was caused by floor movement(as ceiling downstairs cracked and all mastic around skirting was ripped.

Is that a good idea?Please help.
Thanks.

all sounds very strange. you say all the tiles come up clean by hand, this sounds like the adhesive hasn't properly adhered to the tiles. could it be just a simple quality problem with the type of adhesive and mixing/applying/laying???

as regards joist shrinkage - are the tiles around the perimeter as loose as those in the center? can you describe the condition of the ceiling - any sign that the plasterboard is bowing down? if the joists have shrunk then the tile floor and the ceiling would have been under compression and forced to lift as an arch.
the reason why the floor has failed definitely needs to be understood before re-tiling, especially as the same problem could occur in the many other bathrooms, kitchens on the site. suggest the developer seeks the advice of a structural engineer as this sounds like a costly problem.
don't think just re-tiling with ditra is the solution......and then still there's the problems with the ceilings.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Redoing floor after 2 years>Advice needed!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just after a bit of advice please. I had my kitchen floor tiled last week (porcelain...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! we have this beautiful porcelain floor down - there's 25 square metres of it. It...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.