UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Relaid quarry tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pauly

Hi, I'm renovating a Victorian terraced house, one of the downstairs quarry tiled floors was uneven so I lifted the tiles and cleaned off the old sand/cement base material. My builder levelled the earth and installed a DPM , and then laid a new sand/cement base before relaying the original tiles, this was around a week ago, I've noticed random tiles are loose, it was easy to lift one of the loose tiles and when I did I was suprised to find the tiles around the lifted one weren't stuck down either, what options to bond the tiles to the base are there ?. Thanks.

Paul

P

pauly

Sounds to me like the screed hasn't been allowed to dry. Should be left for a day per 1mm up to 40mm and then 0.5mm / day after that. (I think). One of the pro's will confirm.

Thanks for the replies so far, I should have made it clear the quarry tiles were laid directly onto the sand/cement mix as it was put down, my mistake for using the term screed when it was sand/cement. I'm assuming if the mix was too dry the tiles wouldn't bond to it ?.

A

Andrew Case

i understand the method your builder has used , and by the sound of it he as done it wrong , did he use a cement slurry at all when fixing tiles

i reckon the floor will need to be redone , builders are not tilers , all though alot think they are , get your builder back out to sort it, or employ a tiler at your builders expense

Beat me to it. I agree with this. I was taught that a slurry should be used and back butter the tiles perhaps?! Ill be set straight too shortly.

T

Time's Ran Out

When Paul originally took up the tiles they were well fixed.
After cleaning they were 'laid' into a semi dry sand/cement screed by the builder.
As the tiles were not slurry backed for fixing, the process of tamping the tiles into the bed has brought moisture to the surface of the screed and when dried out the lack of adhesion has caused them to come loose.
You can use a green screed adhesive on the loose tiles to refix them but whether this will caused a slight height issue against those that remain is to be seen.
What has he grouted them with if they can be picked up?

P

pauly

When Paul originally took up the tiles they were well fixed.
After cleaning they were 'laid' into a semi dry sand/cement screed by the builder.
As the tiles were not slurry backed for fixing, the process of tamping the tiles into the bed has brought moisture to the surface of the screed and when dried out the lack of adhesion has caused them to come loose.
You can use a green screed adhesive on the loose tiles to refix them but whether this will caused a slight height issue against those that remain is to be seen.
What has he grouted them with if they can be picked up?

That's right, I removed the old base material from the bottom of the tiles but 1 or 2mm of the original cement grout remained on the sides of some tiles, trying to remove this old grout broke the tiles so not all the tiles were square, the idea was regrouting would fill any gaps. I was told a soft sand/cement mix was used for grouting but whether this was wet or dry I dont know.

A

Andrew Case

I've mailed the builder to advise him there's a problem, I think it's going to be a days work to lift the tiles and relay them with something sticky, if the builder agrees all well and good, if not where do I stand legally as regards paying for the job ?.

You paid your builder to do a job - if its definite that he hasn't done it properly, through lack of knowledge or skills, then you shouldn't have to pay. He should put it right at his expense and then you pay.

P

pauly

You paid your builder to do a job - if its definite that he hasn't done it properly, through lack of knowledge or skills, then you shouldn't have to pay. He should put it right at his expense and then you pay.

That makes sense but as it's part other work done which was satisfactory I dont know if it's right to withold part payment or the whole bill ?.

B

bugs183

Don't pay him until the job is done properly.
I think you'll struggle to pull the tiles up, bed them back with adhesive and keep a flat floor. The action of 'tamping' the tiles in makes a key for each individual tile, these tiles are not uniform in depth and just turning the tile round could result in the tile being at a different height.
Really this floor should come up and be laid properly, with the floor being screeded and then either portland added to the top or better still combing a bed of slow drying adhesive onto the screed before the tiles are laid.
There is nothing to stop the others from working loose.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Actually, this is a tricky one. You're meant to pay in full, then proceed legally via small claims or otherwise, to show the work was not done to standard, and then he has to pay to put it right.

But you ARE meant to pay in full for ALL completed works, whether it's perfect or not. And then argue from there.

Which is why it's always best to stay in healthy positive dialogue with them and never do business by text message, and always try to speak on the phone so no wires get crossed.

Say you want this, this and this doing, and you'd rather see it done before the final bill is paid, and take it from there.

The reason for that is due to "customers" ripping off tradesmen in the past. There was a bloke in the news a few years ago who didn't get paid for erecting a doorway to a house, he took a sledgehammer to it right in front of the news reporters, and he nearly got done for it. Even though he didn't get paid, it was then the customers property he was taking a hammer to.

Another bloke did a drive, only got paid for half the drive, so started taking it up. The police were called, he was arrested, he had to go to court BEFORE taking any more up and prove he had only been paid for 50% - in the end the court said you can take 50% of it back up.

Don't withhold payment though else it could go against you if your end up arguing legally over who needs to do what next. You wouldn't want to have to pay him, and then him refuse to work for you, or rectify it.

So to be harsh and go against the grain here. Not read the whole thread either, just the last few posts.

Reply to Relaid quarry tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
I think my question has been partly answered by @Andrew near the very end of this thread, but...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Hi all. Looking for some expert help now I have some time on my hands during lockdown. I took up...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Has any seen an issue with tiles that de_bonded or became loose? We moved into a...
Replies
Views
Tile Shop
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.