Currently reading:
Removing sticky sealant residue

Discuss Removing sticky sealant residue in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Merlin5

HI guys. Sorry, I know it's a bit of an old chestnut, but wanted opinions on the best remover.
My brother helped me out by chipping out all the grout from the vertical corner joints between walls in my bathroom, and then pumping BAL Micromax silicone in. Made a right pigs ear of it as he didn't get it to look smooth, so we removed the silicon and tried again but still crap. He sealed it all ok but it didn't look good. For some reason, it even got under the masking tape, and I'd bought 50mm wide tape.

His son came over today and redid it for me very nicely, he's a painter decorator. But there's loads of residue left on the surrounding tiles from when my brother tried it. Some small visible areas of residue but mostly invisible and tacky to touch. What is best out of these? I read No Nonsense Sealant Remover is very good? I've got some white spirit and WD40. Tiles are ceramic. Also, there's residue stuck at the bottom of the bath. So I need something safe to remove the sticky residue from acrylic baths.

Sticky Stuff Silicone Remover
No Nonsense Sealant Remover
White Spirit
acetone nail varnish remover
WD40

M

Merlin5

I usually use WD40 if its on ceramic tiles. Do a test first to make sure it won't damage the tile on a spare or a hidden spot like behind the ped.
A blade scraper or Stanley blade should help remove it also.

I used my Stanley knife and that got the majority of stuff off and I also used the rounded tip of an old butter knife. I'll try my ceramic hob scraper. But whatever I use to scrape with, it definitely still needs some solvent to get rid of the stickiness. I'll give WD40 a try. Yes, I've got some spare tiles, one partially broken one too in the boot of my car, so I'll test on that.

- - - Updated - - -

WD40 :lol: ... ye crack on and stain the grout whilst at it..

Acetone.. :thumbsup:

Ah, in that case, I'll stay away from WD40 and try Acetone.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

You should find with professional & reccomended Bal Silicon should have more adhesion than the Unibond.

Sorry mate I just put this up as the first example, there are thousands of silicon eaters on the market, I would never use Unibond, or Bal for that matter, I prefare Mapei or Dow. I hope you were not infering I am not a pro.:thumbsup:

Sorry mate I just put this up as the first example, there are thousands of silicon eaters on the market, I would never use Unibond, or Bal for that matter, I prefare Mapei or Dow. I hope you were not infering I am not a pro.:thumbsup:

haha :lol: No interfering matey

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Removing sticky sealant residue in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We decided to replace the mosaic floor tiles in our wet room (2m x 2m). I've removed the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
T
Afternoon all, Another newbie question here. Got some great advice last time so hoping you...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
Hi Gents, In need of much advice as possible. I've recently just finished tiling 4 walls and...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB