Discuss Restoring quarry tiles - worth it? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Caz

Hello from a newbie.

OH and I just moved into a 1920s house and under 2 layers of ancient lino I found the original kitchen floor - 6 inch quarry tiles. As you can see they're not in the best of states and so far I've just mopped them with soapy water. I like the colour and there's a nice sheen on them. Is it worth trying to restore them or shall we just start again? Your advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Carol

Attachments

• IMG_2210.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 82
T

Time's Ran Out

They look authentic and that's what some people want/like!
I'd say it's down to your own tastes and style and I'd always go for the original look if at all possible.
Try Nitromorse in a very discreet area under a unit to see if it strips the grime off the surface to unveil an acceptable finish.
It's not an easy job to restore if you go ahead so get references and see work completed by others.
Try Enduro on the forum here.

S

stoney68

Hello from a newbie.

OH and I just moved into a 1920s house and under 2 layers of ancient lino I found the original kitchen floor - 6 inch quarry tiles. As you can see they're not in the best of states and so far I've just mopped them with soapy water. I like the colour and there's a nice sheen on them. Is it worth trying to restore them or shall we just start again? Your advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Carol
Hi,
We had the same problem and tried everything to clean the gunk off them. Strangely enough cilit bang was brilliant. We had red quarry tiles with lino glue on them, we tried scrapers, blow torch, nitromors, petrol! What took hours with a scrapers took minutes with cilit bang. Don't know what's in it but for tiles it's perfect.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Restoring quarry tiles - worth it? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own...
Replies
Views
Hi all , I’ve just purchased a Victorian semi and appreciate so many of the original features...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
A
Hi I am a complete novice when it comes to tiling so I'd appreciate the forums advice on a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB