Discuss Retail Mark Up in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

So thought id start a thread to see how much we were marking up our trade prices to customers to make sure I'm not missing out on anything..
Is it a say straight 20% on everything as I usually work on? Or does it depend on what cars parked in the drive? ;)
Is everyone charging for everything down to the last penny.. ie, sponges, a multitool blade, primer, spacer or leveling clip?
Be interesting to see how tight some of us are, I myself wouldn't have the cheek to charge for a spacer but, hey, I'm not from Yorkshire :)

I

Italy

So thought id start a thread to see how much we were marking up our trade prices to customers to make sure I'm not missing out on anything..
Is it a say straight 20% on everything as I usually work on? Or does it depend on what cars parked in the drive? ;)
Is everyone charging for everything down to the last penny.. ie, sponges, a multitool blade, primer, spacer or leveling clip?
Be interesting to see how tight some of us are, I myself wouldn't have the cheek to charge for a spacer but, hey, I'm not from Yorkshire :)

image.gif

O

One Day

I charge what I can. I'm trying very hard to move away from being a non-profit organisation!

It's a constant balancing act - Too cheap and you're a busy fool. Too expensive and you end up quiet.

As for the "...cars on the drive" malarkey: you really think a Bentley owner would have paid the same as a Mondeo owner?!
Expectations gentlemen -expectations! Don't work for people with champagne tastes and lemonade pockets.
In other words - charge according to the scale, scope and expectation of the work.

My prices DO go up for the super-rich clients, because they generally expect more and can be quite demanding. Plus, when I first started getting referred to wealthier clients, I struggled to get taken seriously at an average rate.

As for materials mark-up, larger jobs I prefer to let the customer buy from my supplier (keeps me away from VAT), smaller jobs I mark up 30-40% at least covering the time messing around.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
My prices for materials are the same whoever the customer. I don't charge for consumables, I think that's a bit Ott. I charge £25 per bag of adhesive or leveller. £20 per bag of grout. £5 silicone. That's about it, I don't charge for primer or anything. Trims, £5 plastic, £15 metal.
Yep, this is pretty much identical to my prices, though I charge a tenner for primer.

S

Spare Tool

Interesting this, so no one's charging for sponges, clips etc..although marking up adhesive by about 80% its no wonder ;)
I feel guilty charging £20 a bag...so note to self.
Only just recently started charging for screws for hardi as was thinking why on earth should I be paying for them..
I have been known to ask a customer to buy me a new grout float and washboy sponge when black grout gets mentioned..usually to try and put them off but it never works :|

H

hmtiling

Interesting this, so no one's charging for sponges, clips etc..although marking up adhesive by about 80% its no wonder ;)
I feel guilty charging £20 a bag...so note to self.
Only just recently started charging for screws for hardi as was thinking why on earth should I be paying for them..
I have been known to ask a customer to buy me a new grout float and washboy sponge when black grout gets mentioned..usually to try and put them off but it never works :|
try 200% ;)

Reply to Retail Mark Up in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
G
Had to smile at this but if anyone offended by language etc I will remove but cant see it having...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
Hey guys and girls, Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year. I had a fairly mellow one...
Replies
Views
D
IDEA BRIGHT 212 NEW KINGS ROAD LONDON SW6 4NZ Prefered stockists of PORSADRILL diamond core...
Replies
Views
G
1. Nick Helm – “I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB