Discuss Right or wrong ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mrct

I've recently tiled a cloak room. The giant toilet flush and toilet were centre to the room as you look at it. The window has been built off centre and is above the flush and toilet ( which is centre)
in your experience what would you centre.

I centred the flush and the loo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 189

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Looks right to me, your eye would be drawn to the wc and would look wrong if you hadn't.
you could have centred a full tile to the wc, this would have got rid of the two cuts to the
left of the window, but may have worked bad on other walls.
either way, she should pay.
Send letter of intent to say you are taking her to court now, and if she doesn't pay take her to court .
habe used these in the past, they take a small cut , but will get your money.http://www.thomashiggins.com/
act quick and read phil's thread on poor customer!

W

White Room

Looks right to me, your eye would be drawn to the wc and would look wrong if you hadn't.
you could have centred a full tile to the wc, this would have got rid of the two cuts to the
left of the window, but may have worked bad on other walls.
either way, she should pay.
Send letter of intent to say you are taking her to court now, and if she doesn't pay take her to court .
habe used these in the past, they take a small cut , but will get your money.http://www.thomashiggins.com/
act quick and read phil's thread on poor customer!

Thats in the Arms Paul....

M

mrct

No drawings. Just said she had a thing for the tiles being centre so with a big silver flush and a loo in the centre of the room I've been taught that's what you centre not a crooked window, reckon if I had the centred the window I'd be getting complaints that the flush and toilet are not centre , it's one of those customers.

Ive ve started court proceedings but thought if I get tilers reactions on here esp as I don't know any if you then it gives me some clout as I really don't think I'm wrong.

D

Dougs Third Go

The way you have done it is probably the way most of us would have. Its centre to the flush, its centre to the loo and its probably centre to the light(s). that's 3 things centred. if you had centred the window(1) none of the others would have been, which by the sound of it would have given her more to complain about. stick to your guns it looks great.
totally agree. It looks fine, if she wanted it different then that would be her personal choice and she should have informed you beforehand, you made a judgement call, the correct one in my opinion,.

C

Colour Republic

Sorry mrct, going to go against the grain here.

If you centred a tile in the middle of the wall instead of the grout joint, then the cuts either side of the window would have been full and not split. (This looks possible because your current cuts either side of the WC look less than half a tile width) It would have looked better that way (IMO) and also would have been quicker and easier to tile (despite having to plunge cut the flush plate)

Another option and as a half measure you could have tiled the bottom like you have and then still done full cuts either side of the window. (not something I would do but acceptable I suppose) Although not technically correct, visually it would still look better than it does now, where your eyes are not drawn to the off center window.

Sometimes I think tilers are too hung up on centering windows or walls because that is how they've been taught to set out a room, but by default dismiss the overall visual appearence. Setting out tiles shouldn't be about 'rules' as it is still a decorative surface. Follow the rules, but if they don't work, adapt them.

All that said I don't think they should withold payment, at least not all of it. It looks to be a very tidy job you've done there. Personally I don't think either you or the customer is in the wrong, just a difference of opinion in how it should look. I suppose the fair outcome is for both of you to meet in the middle. Say it costs £300 to redo how the customer wants it, then pay half each.

JMO of course :lol:

T

Time's Ran Out

I think you've set it out wrong ( ie it's not the way I would have done it).
I'd have put the full tile in the middle of the flush plate with a large cut to right and left, this would have meant a full piece of tile up both sides of the window ( as opposed to 2 unequal cuts).
My other point of note is you've used the boxing height as the horizontal datum line which has meant a cut to the floor which IMHO is too small!
I think the customer has a valid point and it's now a case of opinions.

Reply to Right or wrong ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB