Discuss Right or wrong ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

m3fitter

I think you've set it out wrong ( ie it's not the way I would have done it).
I'd have put the full tile in the middle of the flush plate with a large cut to right and left, this would have meant a full piece of tile up both sides of the window ( as opposed to 2 unequal cuts).
My other point of note is you've used the boxing height as the horizontal datum line which has meant a cut to the floor which IMHO is too small!
I think the customer has a valid point and it's now a case of opinions.

not opinion, its incorrect, sorry to say, I will always back another tiler, unless its blatant.... sorry to say there are fundamental setting out faults here, not sure with 30 years experience it has been set out this way ?

D

Dougs Third Go

I think you've set it out wrong ( ie it's not the way I would have done it).
I'd have put the full tile in the middle of the flush plate with a large cut to right and left, this would have meant a full piece of tile up both sides of the window ( as opposed to 2 unequal cuts).
My other point of note is you've used the boxing height as the horizontal datum line which has meant a cut to the floor which IMHO is too small!
I think the customer has a valid point and it's now a case of opinions.
we must be looking at a different pic then John, looks a good healthy depth cut to me, near enough full tile and very similar size to cut up to the ceiling.

T

Time's Ran Out

not opinion, its incorrect, sorry to say, I will always back another tiler, unless its blatant.... sorry to say there are fundamental setting out faults here, not sure with 30 years experience it has been set out this way ?

I assume as the customer has no tiling experience it is her opinion that it is wrong. It is also a few members of this forum opinion that this setting out is acceptable.
I therefore suggest that it is a question of opinions - M'lord.

S

Saltire69

Agree with John on this one. As soon as you open the door your eyes are drawn to the cuts at the window. Not wither the flush is center. For me as a rule of thumb I never have cuts on short(shorter than a full tile) boxing in. Just think your eyes get drawn to that more than anything. For me a lot of our job is getting the setting out pleasing to the eye. Centering is great if it all works out ok to the eye. How many eyes in their lol

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Mrct has said in his original post that the customer wanted the window centred so he could not have put a full tile in the middle of the flush without the cuts either side being odd........or am I missing something.?. (probably)
centering the window doesn't necessarily mean a grout joint has to run through the centre.
You can split a tile through the centre. so a column of tiles run centrally through the window, which would give equal cuts either side. or, in this instance, "fuller" cuts. eliminating any grout joint down the left and right hand sides.

centering the window doesn't necessarily mean a grout joint has to run through the centre.
You can split a tile through the centre. so a column of tiles run centrally through the window, which would give equal cuts either side. or, in this instance, "fuller" cuts. eliminating any grout joint down the left and right hand sides.

You misunderstand me. I am saying that if the tile (not the grout joint) was centred in the window then the cuts either side of the wall below the window would be unequal. His client by the sound of it would have disliked that also.

R

Rossymcg

The Window reveals are at eye level and the 1st thing you see when walking in, the the un even grout lines stand out awfully, I'd be pretty un happy seeing the uneven lines on such a small back wall either side of the window, if it were my cloak room id be taking the tiles off and re doing it,
if I'm in a situation where it could be done more than one way, I'm not the one to be making that decision and always ask the customer what they prefer

The window being the first thing you see when walking into a toilet is a matter of opinion. In a previous post mrct says that when he left the customer was very happy and was going to pay (by bacs) and that she had been watching the progress of the job over a couple of days.If the loo and very large flush were "off centre" to a tile many people would or could say that they are the first thing you see when walking in. I just feel that to give mrct a "guilty" verdict is a little harsh as he obviously thought he was doing the right thing. Sounds to me like a third party may have cast a critical eye over the finished job and provoked her into going back on her "promise to pay".
Jeez I have two 40 dwelling privately owned residential homes that I have the maintenance contract for and for every job I do there is 79 different opinions on how I could have done it better.
Stick to your guns mrct and get paid for a good job.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
You misunderstand me. I am saying that if the tile (not the grout joint) was centred in the window then the cuts either side of the wall below the window would be unequal. His client by the sound of it would have disliked that also.
yes they would be different sizes. By maybe 30mm-ish. But they would be big cuts as oppose to (in my opinion) cuts which are far too small.
The grout joints will draw your attention more than the tile size.

Asthetically, shifting half a tile over is 100 times better.
Besides which, its less grouting!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The window being the first thing you see when walking into a toilet is a matter of opinion. In a previous post mrct says that when he left the customer was very happy and was going to pay (by bacs) and that she had been watching the progress of the job over a couple of days.If the loo and very large flush were "off centre" to a tile many people would or could say that they are the first thing you see when walking in. I just feel that to give mrct a "guilty" verdict is a little harsh as he obviously thought he was doing the right thing. Sounds to me like a third party may have cast a critical eye over the finished job and provoked her into going back on her "promise to pay".
Jeez I have two 40 dwelling privately owned residential homes that I have the maintenance contract for and for every job I do there is 79 different opinions on how I could have done it better.
Stick to your guns mrct and get paid for a good job.
Im not going to go back and check but don't think anyone is sayin "wrong" on a catagorical way. I actually stated that the job looked good. All i am saying is asthetically it would look better if the tile was halved through the flush plate.

Its all down to opinion, and obviously some random bloke has given his opinion and she's going with that. I would of somehow avoided the cuts on the window sides, even if it meant cheating and not following the joints upwards maybe.

When I'm setting out I always double check cuts with customers first, sometimes to the point where they think I'm a div - but that's 'cos once I had someone moan about some splashback cuts (until I explained their way didn't work)

I don't like to say it, but I think it might be a case of 'the customer is always right'.

I'd try come to a solution, if it means doing that wall again then hey-ho. As long as they pay for tiles, trim, adh etc. Then all it'll cost is a day labour.. then you get your ££'s

Reply to Right or wrong ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB