Discuss Right, what do you think about this then :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

Hey guys, just been out to measure up and price for a job.

It's a full bathroom, en-suit, enclosed shower cubicle in one corner of the room, going to have toilet and basin, but they will be out of the room thankfully :)

The shower cubicle they want in mosaiq, they are ceramic stone effect 5cm x 5cm, 5mm deep, so they arn't fiddly little things, in all 7.3 sqm.

Surrounding bathroom walls and window etc they want using 33.3cm x 33.3cm ceramics, 5mm deep, all walls and cut ins work out at 17sqm.

The flooring is also the same ceramic 33.3cm x 33.3cm tiles as they are having on the walls, and flooring comes to 3.4sqm.
Floor is simple floor boards, so I need to ply that out too.
They also have a strip of underfloor heating mat, the heating mat is 6.5 meter x 0.5 meter.

I have never done underfloor heating before, so any advise on that would be good, like can it be cut to size or what have you ?

All walls are simple stud, but the boards don't look in a brilliant condition really, there are small holes here and there nearly fist size and still obviously have quite a bit of old tile adhesive stuck too them, some bits you can prise off and mostly the rest you can't.

Around half or more of the walls have had a light skim of plaster then painted, so Im my view I think the whole room could do with being dot n babbed with new boards first as I couldn't be sure the original boards that have the old adhesive left on them will hold these larger tiles, even more so with the painted walls.

Also this will give me a well nice backing to tile straight onto with no worries about them comming away from the walls.

On top of this they want to use mosaiqs as a border going all the way around the room at a certain height aswell to break it all up so that roughly a 10-12 cm strip of them all the way around, so the sqm of mosaiq will be a bit higher than the shower cubicle.

They have had a guy a month or so back who said he could do "EVERYTHING", remove full bathroom, install new shower, all electrics, flooring and tiling, they had paid him £1500 to do the job lot, and all that's been done is remove old suit, place new suit in the room "nothing fixed in yet, put bare shower tray in on legs and left it, put holes in walls everywhere, pipes sticking out in all directions from the shower area, wiring coming out at all would be socket points, the rooms a mess, and now he's done a runner.

They do have quite a lot of materials though, 195 of the floor and wall tiles, around 5 boxes of the large mosaiqs, think theres 12 to a box, so thats 60 of them, so I don't think I would run short, but there is a lot of cuts around the window etc.

For the underfloor heating mat they have a 20kg bag of SETAFLEX rapid FTA, oh and 2 tubs of Mapie Grip D1, :happy: which somehow I don't think will be enough, lol

So for the walls, I'll try and post some pics from my phone to show you what they are like and so on.

So, what do you guys think, and what advise can you give me.

Personally my thoughts are, tell the customer the whole room needs boarding out first.

Before I can fully tile the shower cubicle area, the shower needs to be fitted in and wired up ect by a plumber\ sparky.

Not really sure on adhesive, are the wall and floor tiles just about breaking over the size wise to go from say Bal white star, or this Mapiegrip D1 and onto a cementous adhesive ? for the walls ?

Floor I would ply out, lay the adhesive then heat mats then flexi adhesive then tile onto ??

Sorry for waffling on, but this is quite a major job and would appreciate your proffesional wisdom on this one, firstly on what I have suggested, and also...... what the hell would you quote for on this ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

deffo board out the room if it is feasible to do it..ie door frames etc....ufh.. i lay the mat then flexi leveler over that then no risk of damage to cable and nice flat surface to tile to.. make sure you or a spark test the mat for a good circuit before you install tiles...as for adhesives well i tend to just use bal..so no comment on mapei ones..........dave..

the regular pricing crew will follow this post..lol lol......

F

Fekin

Right, just need a couple of pointers.

Plasterboard thickness, if Im boarding over existing boards then I want to keep thickness down to a minimum, so Im looking at 9.5mm Lafarge Plain Plasterboard.

I've heard about some 6mm backerboard though, would this be useable for panneling the walls, or am I best using the thicker standard plasterboard ?

For the tiles, 33.3cm x 33.3cm's, would tubbed adhesive be ok for the weight of these tiles ?

Also, for larger tiles, does anyone go for larger grout lines, as I normally use 3mm spacers ? , or stick with 3,mm.

What I've worked out so far is...

I am taking a guess I should be able to board out all the walls and window cut in's etc, as the room isn't a standard square within a day, then prime them.

17sqm large tile Im guessing should be able to lay within a day too possibly, maybe 2 tops.

Shower area and border say another day, then a day for grouting ?

Then it would be a day to finish off the shower wall where the shower needs to be fitted in.

Budgeting 5 to 6 days work roughly sound right ?

£374 for tiling 17sqm large format walls @ £22 psqm
£200 for tiling approx 8sqm mosaiqs @ £25 psqm
£120 for boarding out, heating mats and tiling @£35 psqm - total job

Then maybe day rate for all the boarding out, so if I got that all done In a day then that's £150.

Total

£874

Then materials, including all the plasterboard etc etc.

How does that sound ?, over priced, ok, or cheep ?

Reply to Right, what do you think about this then :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Some adhesives give info (not seemingly Mapei). I think the Mapei Standard Set Plus would suit...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Right, what do you think about this then :)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.