Discuss Rough so called tiler. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

yet again i come across a job done by a short course muppet... not only that he still under cuts and wins jobs over me.. he turns out this $hite he calls tiling.

Just tiled a kitchen splash and the very nice lady of the house asked if i could have a look and give me opinion on some work she has had done in her bathroom/wetroom ..

Well i looked and it was not pretty , turns out she used to live in sedgefield , a local village to me and this is the reason for using this so called tiler as he lives in said village..

Why oh why do peeps continue to employ these so called tradesmen i hear you ask ... mostly it is because they can talk a good job from reading forums like this as this so called tiler was a very regular member on here but left when i had to re-tile a bathroom he fluffed up 19 months back but they cannot turn out the work quality that their mouths spout..

Rant over...:smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Somerset
I understand your feelings about being under cut Dave, especially as the "tradesman" is rubbish and ripping people off. I was asked to quote to "repair" a wet room in a home for young people with high dependency needs. I found that the tiling (8x10 white ceramics) was done without any tanking or otherwise waterproofing the sub strata. The bottom two rows of tiles were already falling off. This home was strapped for funds and wanted me to quote for "a cheap quick repair." The tiling had been completed 2 years previously by a local tiling company with over 30 years of trading. I was disgusted at the standard of work, told the manager that the only option was a complete re-tile which of course they could not afford - so I suggested they go back to the original tilers.... My point - a muppet tiler is a muppet whether they trained for 5 weeks or 5 years. There are some very experienced cowboys out there but it is also clear that you and a number of others here on this forum who have traded all their career as tilers are exceptionally good at all aspects of the trade and set the highest standards. You are right to highlight sub-standard work and its a shame nothing more seems to get done to root out the rot from the tiling industry.

Somerset
That's pretty incredible. Unless this guy has some background its a worry that he is trading as a bathroom fitter after 4 days training in each skill. I believe the big problem with many short courses is they clearly offer students the view they can set up in business the day after their course finishes - business and marketing advice for "your" tiling business seems to be included in nearly all the 4 -8 week courses. I don't blame you and the other guys who took the long route looking at the whole short course business with a lot of concern. However, as many of us had no choice but to take a short course, I will always stand our corner in general but I don't tolerate poor workmanship - from anyone.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Problem is Dave, before the Internet and company websites, people used to go and see tradesmens work. I still tell people that they can look at my customers work as well as showing them my portfolio, although because most of my work is recommendation then they have seen my work already, so half the battle is won.

J

jonnyc

Slick website
There is a lot of competition out there ,some is legit and other not so.
it is always a task to work out who is a potential threat or not.
especially if you have not had to compete in yesteryears.
i have had some quite farcical quotes in last two years to compete with but if a client tells me they have a better quote I state that I want to see that quote .

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
There is a lot of competition out there ,some is legit and other not so.
it is always a task to work out who is a potential threat or not.
especially if you have not had to compete in yesteryears.
i have had some quite farcical quotes in last two years to compete with but if a client tells me they have a better quote I state that I want to see that quote .

To compare quotes they need to be apples for apples, cos if the competition is much cheaper there's always a reason!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
There's always the other side as well John,expensive does not mean quality ,you can pay for fish eggs but it ain't caviar !

You're spot on there, but surely then it's down to the customer to make sure they check the tradesman out prior to any order given/work commencing, so they can be equally to blame.

Reply to Rough so called tiler. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Bathroom/bathtub walls were tiled to the ceiling and a shower screen was fitting. Tiler left...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB