UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Scabby walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

Some of the worst jobs I have ever been asked to do are walls that have been "made good" - NOT!! - with bonding plaster. Turned up to start a job today, had specified that when old tiles were removed, that walls were to be made good prior to tiling. The plasterer had attempted to make good using bonding plaster. What a mess ! There were more lumps and bumps than on Jade Goodys stomach. Also where the the previous tiles ( half tile ) had been removed there was between a 1mm and 4mm step between old & new plaster.
On principle I explained to the customer that the walls needed to be better before they were tiled - would be dot & dab job and I do not do that !. I came home and lost a days work.
I am currently learning to plaster, so would eventually be able to do this myself. But nonetheless. I will not waste my time dot & dabbing trying to make the best of scabby walls, just because someone thinks - and I quote " oh the tiler will sort it out ", have heard this too many times. Regardless if I can plaster or not, it still remains that some people think that any old crappy wall will do for tiling onto - This tiler say no, have tried it before when I was starting off -would take any old job, but not anymore.
Half decent walls or find someone else !!
Anyones opinion would be appreciated - on bad walls - not the plastering myself issue, thanks !!

C

CON5933

I had a similar one with really bad walls, the main problem was the guys attitude. (a friend of a friend)
I could have made good the walls but he seemed to think that making good was by tiling. "The rate for a plasterer would be too expensive" which I took to mean he thought my rate would be less?
He told me that "if I put them on properly..... with a 'blob' on each corner of the tile and one in the middle it would be easy and would would end up level..."
I told him I didn't have a 'blobbing' trowel and he should get someone skilled at blobbing and then I blobbed off.:)

T

tjsmiler

If the walls are really bad and the job is worth it, i tell the customer that i will re-plaster the walls before tiling, if they are happy with the price ect i then pay a pro to go in and do it for me (use the same guy every time) job gets done much faster than i can do it and to a high standard which is perfect to tile on. I would have already put the price of the plasterer in my quote.everyones happy.

F

faithhealer

Had the same experience as Leatherface last week, walked out on a job and lost a days pay because what they called decent walls and what we would call decent, were miles apart. I only had to look at the wall and plaster would fall off! Even I'm not that ugly! Behind the fridge you had had wallpaper over tiles AND tiles on wallpaper!!
AND on another job, the customer told the plasterer that it was being tiled,(big mistake) well, this cowboy took this customer for £400 for half a days work and the walls were s**** because he told the customer that the tiler would make them flat!!

T

tjsmiler

Hi Traxman
I know what you mean about customers not wanting to wait but i find if i explain it properly to them they realise that having walls re-plastered and then waiting the 4 weeks is nothing compared to what they would have to do if they rushed into it and plus the end result is 1000 times beter. Works for me mate.

What is it with people thinking that the tiles will make the wall look perfect, the amount of customers who tell me that it's ok to pack the tile out is ridiculous! if they know so much about it why did they phone me up!!

E

epoxy pete

i always survey any job first and point the problems faced directly to the client or punter involved in the project,if only i had a £1.00 for everytime someone has said to me...."build it out with adhesive" id be very rich man!!....i use a professional plaster to do the prep work,he knows what i expect and what he needs to achieve ....works well everytime!....if someone isnt prepared to spend on the preparation then i dont set foot on site....it has trouble written alll over it before getting your tools out of the van!!
theres an old saying that still stands true everytime...

fail to prepare...prepare to fail!!!

it always amazes me,people spend 1000's on bathroom suites,tiles and kitchens....then nothing on preparation!!!!!
thinking the room will look like that lovely glossy brochure she has been flicking through for weeks.......!!!

if people wont listen to your advice and direction of what is needed to be done,then the jobs not worth doing in my opnion...wether its 10 mtrs or 100 ....anyway off to work now....working nights at the trafford centre,manchester patching floor tiles!!!!...4 smashed ones to replace....ill make that one last for a few hours for sure!!!!!

K

kapitan

ive been at this game a long time and u must be able to straigten walls and floors its part of the job!! if you expect every job to be as flat as a snooker table you can forget it!! for example a job recently went to tile told it would be prepped, turned up walls a mess got the bloke to run to builders to get plasterboard and cement ,half a shift later perfect walls, outstanding job and paid handsomely!! :wink_smile:

G

GazTech

Here here,wise words from the kapitan.Never in 20 yrs have I tiled a job I didn't give a good coat of looking at first.The longer you do this job the less you need a level to price up.When you get to the point where you think ,well rapid set to build out,and bang a few tiles on to bulk up ,say what the German tilers do,get your plasterers in to do the job proprly and I'll come and do mine otherwise aufweidesen PET !

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Scabby walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.