Discuss screw through pipes ?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davebates

hi guys been to see a job earlier its a small toilet room that has been tiled about 3 months ago but it looks like the previous tiler has screwed through a a 15mm cold water pipe its a shame because it was a cracking job he screwed 6mm backer to the floor boards with the right sized screws but he has just hit the pipe when screwing the floor boards to the joist so after 3 months of gathering water the ceiling in the customers lounge has failed ive got to quote to re tile the floor the customer does not want the old tiler back as he told the tiler there wouldnt be any pipes under the floor boards but its got me slightly worried about one day hitting a pipe how do you guys go about making sure you dont do this ????

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
There is no sure fire way really, I have a detector but its rubbish. I once screwed through a gravity fed 22mm hot water pipe and the screw sealed the hole as it went it, trouble was after 4 or 5 months the hot water had somehow eroded the screw (wore the threads away) and then it leaked and built up on the dinning room ceiling, it swelled and swelled and swelled until it gave way one night.

When I got there hot water was pouring out into various kitchen based mixing bowls.

After that I bought an LCD inspection camera so I can drill a 15mm hole or two and have a proper butches under the floor.

Q

Qwerty

How thick were the floorboards, I use 25mm turbo screws which should'nt go thru an existing floor...

Same here..... but in this case I believe the previous tiler was screwing the old floorboards down to the joists.

So many times I have had to mark out where joists have been notched out & pipes have been set in them. Very easily done I have to admit

After that I bought an LCD inspection camera so I can drill a 15mm hole or two and have a proper butches under the floor.

Yep.....as I said :thumbsup:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
I only use it if I dont know what is under there and there are absolutely no other options left. You could always buy one of these........

SNAKE VISION ENDOSCOPE INSPECTION CAMERA SEESNAKE 10mm | eBay
Im buying one soon and Im sure will save the stress & worry :hurray:

I've got a Ridgid SeeSnake, blocko, they are a bit more expensive but have a better screen which is everything with these. It also have a yellow composite output so you can veiw on a bigger screen. And its water proof.

M

Mike

i hit a pipe a few weeks ago, i plasterboarded a ply boxing(old stuff) on a wall to tile and all was good till home time and i switched the radio off and i heard a hissing noise. the pipes were in the middle of the boxing all the way up the wall till near to the ceiling were they were bent away from the wall ready to go around the joist in the attic above, this made the pipes right on the surface of the ply and one of my screws hit it. lucky i had gear in the van to repair it.

Reply to screw through pipes ?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
screw through pipes ??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.