Discuss Self assessment...... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Morning all.

Do any of you use any software for working out your end of year tax returns etc? If so do you have any recommendations on whether one is better than the other?

im currently keeping track of my earnings in excel but I've heard that some software pretty much works everything out for you meaning you only need to submit the 'bottom line' numbers to HMRC.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks,
Rich

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
I'm a sole trader.
i used to get all stressed doing all the book work myself , including the vat.
i now pay £50 a month, £ 80 at a vat quarter and £200 year end. Takes all the stress away.
all I do is quoting, billing and on the 20th of every month put all relevant paperwork, invoices amd receipts in a folder and drop off.

the vat alone used to take a full day every quarter.

most on here would say don't let builders do tiling. Then don't delegate the accounts to a professional!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
in my first year I should be fine as I don't expect much to come in... will have to see how year 2 goes lol
Unfortunatly mate, you will still have to submit self assessment.
Dont worry about not making enough to pay tax.if you don't ,make much you won't pay any, but if you have made a bit, you will have some expenditure to offset this.Having accounts in the future will make it easier to raise finance if you need it when you start properly.

M

Mr Tiler

Unfortunatly mate, you will still have to submit self assessment.
Dont worry about not making enough to pay tax.if you don't ,make much you won't pay any, but if you have made a bit, you will have some expenditure to offset this.Having accounts in the future will make it easier to raise finance if you need it when you start properly.

no I understand that mate sorry what I should of said was I wont be needing an accountant any time soon lol. cheers

I use excel , did a very simple spreadsheet by myself - and i'm a computer idiot - then input the totals at SA online , doddle.

All you need to track is:

1. What you spent
2. What your total income is
3. What you you were stopped in tax.
4. Go to SA online and enter 1 , 2 & 3 and it works it out for you.
5. Go and treat yourself with the money you saved by not using an accountant or buying software.

Diggy :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I use excel , did a very simple spreadsheet by myself - and i'm a computer idiot - then input the totals at SA online , doddle.

1. What you spent
5. Go and treat yourself with the money you saved by not using an accountant or buying software.

Spot on.

R

RDTiling

Thanks guys. With this being my first self assessment and only tiling Fri-Sun at the moment to see how things take off in the current climate, I couldn't justify an accountant, as their costs would probably be more than my earnings - certainly fir this year anyway!

ill check out done of those apps and programs etc....who knows I might even stick with excel. I like the idea of invoice2go. I'd certainly take any info you have on that Bri.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire

1. What you spent

I think you'd be surprised mate. Out of curiosity I did my tax return on line a few years ago, it calculated that I was due a £750 rebate. I gave everything to my accountant as that seemed way too low and ended up with about £3k. They know all the loopholes and are worth every penny IMO

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Maybe I should look into an accountant and start as I mean to go on.....I guess it can't do any harm to ask their costs.

Shop round as well, charges can vary same as any other type of professional service. The nationwide/international practises will tend to charge more, the smaller ones will give you a much more personal service. It's all about how much they can save you!!!

Reply to Self assessment...... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Firstly I have to say that this forum is fantastic, with huge amounts of knowledge...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
J
Hi, I'm currently a desk based engineer but don't particularly enjoy it and would much prefer...
Replies
Views
J
C
Hi, Im installing underfloor heating in my new house. The dining kitchen area is 50m2 a large...
Replies
Views
prceramics
P
M
im confident I can start taking work on and was want to start thinking about the business side...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB