Discuss self employment..... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

im not confident in taking big jobs atm I just want to start advertising and taking smll work for a bit... but I want to do it correctly. so if you have an accountant you don't even need to think about self employment? cheers for reply matey

What are you on about, thats why you get an accountant to check your accounts at the end of the year which you would have been filled in by you...he dos'nt deduct your weekly tax, you have put that aside.

P

Protilers

I will do a quick summary of what you need/should do.......

First off.......contact HMRC.....and tell them you wish to become self employed.......and in due course they will issue you with a UTR (unique tax reference)........
the next thing you should do is approach an accountant.....(if you feel you need to, or if you think they could advise you on ways to save money!).....
you will need to SAVE 20% (i Guess) of your income and pay that into a savings account (for your end of year).......and while you are there (in the bank) take a letterhead from your newly formed company and open a business account....(for your customers to pay into!).....

IMO a credit card is the best way to keep accounts simple......but there are variables....to that statement.......pay your credit card off statement to statement and there will be no interest and all company outlay is listed in one place.......simples!......

after this you are on your own.......but you could always ask your accountant you employed earlier in the day! and he will give you the best advice!

all the best

Lee.......oh and good luck........its tough out there!

Lee

W

White Room

I will do a quick summary of what you need/should do.......

First off.......contact HMRC.....and tell them you wish to become self employed.......and in due course they will issue you with a UTR (unique tax reference)........
the next thing you should do is approach an accountant.....(if you feel you need to, or if you think they could advise you on ways to save money!).....
you will need to SAVE 20% (i Guess) of your income and pay that into a savings account (for your end of year).......and while you are there (in the bank) take a letterhead from your newly formed company and open a business account....(for your customers to pay into!).....

IMO a credit card is the best way to keep accounts simple......but there are variables....to that statement.......pay your credit card off statement to statement and there will be no interest and all company outlay is listed in one place.......simples!......

after this you are on your own.......but you could always ask your accountant you employed earlier in the day! and he will give you the best advice!

all the best

Lee.......oh and good luck........its tough out there!

Lee

Never had a business account Lee....everything goes through my current account.

P

Protilers

you do not NEED to pay the bank anything for a business account........if you dont want to.....there is nothing dodgy in getting you customer to pay you personally......and then you transfering the money into your business account via online banking...avoiding all bank charges.........this aside.....it was just a heads up........and everyone does it differently Mr T.......like tiling funny enough!

All the best

Lee

P

Protilers

I will have to see an advisor at the bank to see what we can arrange... think I may have to book an appointment with citizens advice too... thanks again lee good man!

- - - Updated - - -

that's even better then lol...

- - - Updated - - -

is there a limit you can earn before tax? im sure I heard something on the radio about 9,000 before self employed have to pay tax? cheers

I dont know the limit TBH......but yes...if you earn sub whatever the limit is.......you will proberbly get a tax refund or pay no tax whatsoever........but I am a tiler....not a tax advisor.....

best of luck......nite nite

Lee

W

White Room

Hi whitebeam......

whatever suits you really....there is no NEED for a business account.......but if you operate from your current account you need to give your PERSONAL statements to your accountant (if you have one) at E.O.Y...

hourses for courses?

Oh yes I have one but been with him for so long there's nothing he dos'nt know about my accounts mate, scary :lol:

P

Protilers

Hi whitebeam......

whatever suits you really....there is no NEED for a business account.......but if you operate from your current account you need to give your PERSONAL statements to your accountant (if you have one) at E.O.Y...

hourses for courses?

Oh yes I have one but been with him for so long there's nothing he dos'nt know about my accounts mate, scary :lol:

for me it would not be about what I have in my account so much!.......I just would not want my accountant to know I am in the pub every night (paying by card!).....or about my subscription to trainworld magazine.......oh it is good though!!!........hhhehehheeeee

I

ian158

Dave..at what point in your tiling career did you call yourself a tiler..this is not a loaded question or in anyway demeaning but when does someone call them self a tiler..ive seen some guys on my builder quote NVQ level 2 tiling...but they like me do the lot plumbing chippie work etc...is a tiler called tiler because they only tile ? ...MR T is clearly not a tiler because he's only tlled 4 bathrooms...I don't consider myself a tiler..a plumber..a chippe...I do get asked so..I wonder sometimes if I dig myself a hole by saying jack of all trade...but then people wait for the next bit..master of none..im certainly do not consider myself a tiler..but when do you cross that line of being called one ?

Reply to self employment..... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all, I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB