Discuss self employment..... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

ian158

The customers absolutey see me as a tiler I am not doubted once the job is done. And the Finnish is better than some of the jobs ive seen since learning about tiling.

if you've taken in as much as I have on here...tile with what the pros recommend on here...your customers are happy with your work, you can walk away proud of what you have done..know your limits...then isnt that enough !..

I know I am indebted to this forum for what I have learnt..and envious of the work I see a "PRO TILER" is capable of..it is most certainly an art.

M

Mr T

Ian thats why im on here asking I in no way want my work being attacked by people who look down there noses at me... I will pick it up as I go along from this point on and as I said I know my limits.. Ive been down my moms house every Sunday for dinner also checking all my work and theres no failure in the work and ive had no call off any of the other people in my family who ive done the work for

D

DHTiling

You can call your self a tiler after you have trained for it and not 4 fricken jobs.

It takes yrs and not a few jobs , here we are again with wannabes charging customers for jobs they have no clue about.

This might well sound harsh but it is the truth.

Who complains about being told they are not trained enough..... Chancers , that's who.

The market is flooded with them , read a forum for a few weeks and bingo another tiler appears.

M

Mr T

Your trying to say im going to be ripping people off lol... If I cant do the job.. I wont do the job and if I mess something up il stop.. Go and pay someone else to do it. If the end result is that the customer Is happy and the work is completed to a decent standard that is all thats needed. And im better than council standard so yeh I would class myself as a tiler... And as for a few weeks ive been doin it since December when I was laid off

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Mr T If you gonna be ,going out as a tiler mate you cant just go out half cocked,if your advertising as a tiler you need to be able to do all jobs not the ones you think you can do,it doesn't work like that,its like a plumber saying I can fit a sink but I can't fit a bath ,you can either do it all or not at all. am not having a go but 8 months down the line mate believe me your not ready to be self employed, what you said if I can't do it It wont will not wash when you start pricing jobs it will only give you a bad name, really not having a go mate but you do need a bit more experience.

I

ian158

Nail on the head Ian... every chance some of these get they have a dig lol I couldnt be bothered tho im still gonna be browsing this site in 5 year time theres more than enough info and decent people who actual like the fact I asspire to be a decent tradesman and not a con artist... Thats all I am tryin to do. Simples

so from what I understand from Daves assumption of you is..your unemployed..got kids..signing on...claiming housing benefit...child tax benefits...all of which you maybe entitled to..and maybe be moonlighting as a tiler...but all assumptions ? ...I don't know you..however if you have decided to get yourself a trade..practice on your family and start taking on jobs within your comfort Zone then why is it a problem that some elite tilers feel threatened or for that matter angry or bitter that you "may" call yourself a tiler, when do you call yourself a tiler..when you have done it for years.. learnt how to lay geometric original style tiles...who can tell us this ?...if someone is taking the interstate in taking in a trade and enjoys it then it should be encouraged...if you don't like what that person is asking and you have nothing positive to say why freek the need to dug this person out...it's a forum to help..not to discourage a trade that is in mist cases...by the general public...not understood..I mean all they see is a tub..some tiles and a wall..they don't know half if what's involved...I've said before there tilers and there's tilers...but there still tiles unless the individual thinks otherwise...because its still an area where I don't know when or who actually determines when new comers can be called tilers!

M

Mr T

Cheers mz I know its not the best way to start mate but I really am capable of doingat least most of the smaller jobs out there and get paid doing it... Im not out to rip anyone off at all and I never will. If I cant do a job I will just say im too booked up. It wont damage my name at all and as I gain more experience I will move up at a cery slow pace maybe but il get there. But first things first I need to learn about self employment... Thats why I am on here askin the pros. Thanks matey

D

DHTiling

I know you are passionate about being a tiler but what is rattling me and I am very sure quite a few others sitting back , is the fact you are blatantly saying you are charging for work and not even registered to do so.

Some tilers are struggling for work and then you pop up charging for work and still claiming benefits.

If I have got it wrong then ffs say so , as i am getting very annoyed to the fact if I knew who you are I would lay you in.

M

Mr T

Well let me start with... I dont and have not to this date charged anybody for my tiling... I questioned you on avoiding tax because you assumed I am doing so. I am on benefits and today have had a descussion with my benefits advisor that if I find any paid tiling work all I need to do is declare it and they will just deduct money form me. Its not only tilers struggling the whole country has gone to REMOVED thats the reason I looked into learning a trade in the first place. And as for threats of violence theres no need...

I

ian158

So now its threats...FFS.. would you lay in gypsies..going round in flash new vans...cars...£30k caravans...never paying tax..and the tax office not having any way of tracking them, or even bothering.....doing cash work and not paying tax...or is it just moonlighting tilers..

Dave..you have asked MR T many questions..why don't you answer if you have done any cash work and not claimed tax ?...its a simple question...times are changing...guys coming in to tiling as a professional are few and far between...yes chancers and bodgers are taking your work..but its like the Chinese..people are realising buying cheap rubbish is not economical..and as soon as the public realise hiring fly by nights..and yes people still get gypsies to do work and get ripped off.even after all the programs on dodgy builders..then the work will return..you may be right about Mr T....but can you not PM him rather than on an open forum as it shows that this forum is aggressive and in some cases un welcoming....

Reply to self employment..... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all, I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB