Discuss self employment..... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daveshadowman

Right my turn
1 talk to HMRC they will help
2 if you are doing work paid or unpaid you need to tell the dole office
3 the rules for unemployment are you have to be available for work not off tiling someone's kitchen
4 I do my own accounts with software purchased from HMRC
5 I have worked my arse off for 28 years to get where I am it is not easy I work on sites etc aleast 45 hrs a week then spend the same amount off time doing paper work
6 I do not take lightly to short course poeple who think they can tile it takes time to learn
lastly before anyone asks I do not do cash jobs every job is declared

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Mr T did you look at college or an apprenticeship?

I was a little shocked at your attitude in this thread to be honest, little suprised you didnt get more backs up either. Not looking to kick things off again, but my advice to you is still the same as it was 5 or 6 months ago.
C Rep' makes some valid points too. Going at things half loaded and a few pages missing is part the reason the building trades are in such a mess in the first place. I can wire a plug but it don't make me an electrician.

Wish you all the bedt whatever you opt to do, one things for sure I've never met s young'un as enthusiastic as you, credit.

M

Mr T

Thank you Ali... I have been very busy the last couple of months and have done loads of tiling... Ive had to do all sorts and this site has helped me atcheive a good finnished propperly done job. I feel confident I can start taking the small work that is all mate and feel I deserve just a little not too much for all the work ive put in to date. College is completely out of the question as I couldnt live if I sign off. And apprentiship there is nothing at all going. Thanks matey

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Interested that you say that lee .
do you really only have to show the statements and not supporting invoices.
i was told this by my new business manager at Barclays but he got sacked within two months of appointment .
My dad is an old school accountant retired for 25 years and he always insists that I have support invoices which can never be wrong but maybe times have really changed and you can get away with just statements.
i would be very interested to hear your comments

I keep every invoice that gets pays for materials/services on my credit card. Firstly, I can cross reference when doing my accounts. Secondly, it just says on the credit card bill where I used the card and to what value. The invoice shows what was actually purchased.

D

DHTiling

Thank you Ali... I have been very busy the last couple of months and have done loads of tiling... Ive had to do all sorts and this site has helped me atcheive a good finnished propperly done job. I feel confident I can start taking the small work that is all mate and feel I deserve just a little not too much for all the work ive put in to date. College is completely out of the question as I couldnt live if I sign off. And apprentiship there is nothing at all going. Thanks matey

So this loads of tiling was free and you told the dole you were not available on those dates you worked. :)

M

Mr T

Shadowman I was in the jobcentre at 3 declaring all the work I have done since making my new claim... Which I stopped claiming when I was working with sir ramic and had. A call to say I had work waiting for me... Ive been labouring for a builder and tiling in the evenings... U dont know how hard ive been workin lately... But now the work died off again so im back on tje dhole....No more posts from me... Good day.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I have followed this thread with interest, and I can understand the time served guys point, we had to go through the mill to become real tilers, by real tilers I mean people who have spent a lifetime honing their skills. These tilers are quite comfortable doing 5,000 mt floors, swimming pools, etc.

They can walk on any job anywhere, and do a grid of levels, supply a method statement/risk assessment determine expansion / stress joints required. Tiling is not about doing Mrs Blogs bathroom, it is an art that takes years to perfect.

On a lighter note I have met Mr David Howe and we speak on the phone now and then, I find him to be a true gent who has a real passion for this trade, he is a big lad and I am glad he is my friend and not my enemy. Happy tiling to all.:thumbsup:

M

Mr T

Im prepared to work just as if not harder than you guys its just hard to organise training when you realise what you want from life a bit later on... I can have a passion for the trade too cant I? it is what it is And as for enemies im not out to make them... I think no retaliation to a threat of violence shows that.. "lay you out" does not mean grass you up to the tax man no matter where your from. And im not a big bloke il admit that.

G

Gazzer

Im prepared to work just as if not harder than you guys its just hard to organise training when you realise what you want from life a bit later on... I can have a passion for the trade too cant I? it is what it is And as for enemies im not out to make them... I think no retaliation to a threat of violence shows that.. "lay you out" does not mean grass you up to the tax man no matter where your from. And im not a big bloke il admit that.

Dave never said that ! Get your facts straight Ash.
Lay you in, a term meaning to grass or report you from where Dave is from.

Reply to self employment..... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all, I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB