UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Self levelling questions and advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

:drool5:

Hey up.

Im tiling my uncles kitchen floor in a couple of weeks, and I want to do a good job. The floor is about 15sqm l cove.

Its concrete but the problem is its levels and uneveness is all over the place. Ive put a level and straight edge on it and there are 3 high points which are at the beginning then middle and then towards the end of the kitchen. In between each high point the floor dips down by about 15mm.

My plan was to make the floor dust free and then batten round the edges and doorways.

What do I prime the floor with. Is it an SBR/cement slurry or just sbr neat.?

How is it best to approach the actuall screeding as Ive heard you have to do it all in one hit.
Do i mix a few buckets up first..? I was thinking of just tipping the stuff in the dips untill they fill up to the high points. The thing is the high point are not level with each other.... Obviously going off the highest point in the kitchen.

How is it best to fill to a consitent level over the whole of kitchen. I was thinking of pre-drilling holes all over the floor and using screws and rawplugs and setting them level with each other.

Also, do you spread it about with a flat edged trowel?

Finally for now when is it you use the spiked roller Ive read about
?

Thanks folks

M

Mike

i would try remove the high parts with a grinder/sander/sds drill. much better (and cheaper) to keep the slc to a minimum. sbr will be fine. i've never used levelling aids (screws etc) but some guys do, sounds a good idea. i've never used the maxi but the mapei renovation screed is by far the best slc i've used. if you get all your water measured and buckets ready you should be able to do that floor in one go on your own mixing one bag at a time if you're quick

As said, try taking the 3 high points out to an acceptable level, then check what your levels are like, I like using packer spacers to go around the room, stick them with a dab of something, if your levels aren't that bad after taking the humps out, you can do 1 of 2 things, slc, probably easiest, or go with a larger notch trowel, you could end up using a lot more addy, depends on the floor really.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I am doing one atm, will get some pics on. This is the way I cope with bad floors, these are old pics, but give an idea of my method, Runners set with laser, formed with polymer sand/ cement/ sbr/ rapid set adhesive, concoction

Attachments

• slm1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 76
  • slm2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 84
  • slm3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 78
  • slm4.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 79
  • slm5.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 81
  • slm6.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 78
  • slm7.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 75
  • slm8.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 70
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Self levelling questions and advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
So I may have done an oopsie. We are putting self-levelling compound down over floor where I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Self levelling questions and advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.