Discuss Self levelling screed??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

I thought that one of the benefits of gyvlon screeds are it's self levelling capabilities - have I mis-understood?

screed 2.jpg

screed 1.jpg

This is what I was faced with on Tuesday and the customer expected me to fix 600 x600 porcelain :mad2::mad2:.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Oh my giddy aunt. That is awful. Is that dips between the pipes (I assume its UFH). This is called pipe mapping and it is caused by one of 3 things.

1. Pipes not fully secured ad have floated - this usually is patchy and sporadic and does not appear to be the case here
2. The screed is placed too thin with a lack of cover to the underfloor heating pipes. This leads to a differential between the level of plastic settlement, a natural function of a flowing screed (self levelling compound does the same thing), between the pipes being greater than that over the pipes. It is often accompanied by cracking across the tops of the pipes
3. The screed has been placed too wet which leads to a similar phenomenon as described in number 2.This scenario is also often accompanied by level issues as the excessive water content in the screed bleeds to the surface and makes it difficult for the installer to differentiate the actual top of the screed and the bleed water on the top. It is also often accompanied by soft powdery patches often in door ways where the bleed water gets chased and causes the screed to segregate locally.

If it is installed correctly then it does exhibit self levelling tendencies. In terms of deviation from the straight edge I would expect in a job of this size that there would be little to none but the screeders generally should install to SR2 as an absolute minimum standard.

You will presumably use a smoothing compound over this one - I would suggest one based on Gypsum. Also are you uncoupling cos that level of "defficiency" could also lead to the screed cracking under thermal loading.........

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
are you able to put a slc over a gyvlon screed ajax and if so does it need longer to dry

Yes you can put SLC over Gyvlon. I would always recommend one based on Gypsum so that it is fully compatible with the screed and eliminates the risk of chemical delamination. All the same rules apply in that the heating must be commissioned, the screed must be dry, surface must be clean and sound etc.....

D

Daz

Alan, this is the very same screed that you viewed with me in November. It looked alright then didn't it :lol:. I have lightly sanded the screed (I will provide a full anhydrite thread for forum members soon) and found no cracks whatsoever. The screed is even in colour which, to me, indicates an even moisture content too. I can't see any obvious reasons for the screed to be so poor which is why I asked the question. I'm really disappointed with the installers.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Not surprised you are disapointed. We didn't look at flatness when I came. Assuming your bit of wood is straight it looks well out. Which addy did you go for in the end was it the weber? .........they also do a gypsum based leveller, as do many others nowadays .......

D

Daz

I admit that my "straight edge" in the pics is just a random floor joist that I found lying around. I should have placed my spirit level on top to illustrate the point better. I demonstrated the problem to my customer with my 1800mm spirit level and it was just as bad, so much so that we had to check the window for level too. The dip was peaking at 25mm over 2.5 metres (if that makes sense) and fortunately appears to be quite localised as the rest of the 75sqm seems pretty good.

Yes, I am working with Weber on this job and will provide a review when the floor is completed. I have, also, offered to provide Weber with detailed feedback too.

D

Daz

just out of interest should the supplier or screeders be called back to rectify the floor as its not really acceptable

In this instance, it is in no way the suppliers responsibility.
The installer would normally be expected to rectify the poor installation, however, there is a major breakdown between client and installer (builder) as this is not the only issue that my client has experienced, so they are happy to compensate me to sort the screed.

Reply to Self levelling screed??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Will this work? (top to bottom) tiling (one room), 12mm laminate (other room) 19mm T&G chipboard...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Self levelling screed???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.