Discuss Self levelling screed??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
oh just wondering as the problem is handballed around screeder will blame supplier ect best to get them both back to find the prob no disrespect Ajax

no offence taken Jay. Was just curious to know why you thought supplier would be interested. You are right though that these sort of complaint often start off with the installers blaming the material.

D

DHTiling

I thought that one of the benefits of gyvlon screeds are it's self levelling capabilities - have I mis-understood?

View attachment 22019

View attachment 22020

This is what I was faced with on Tuesday and the customer expected me to fix 600 x600 porcelain :mad2::mad2:.

Ha, now this depends upon the screeder daz..

It is all in the pour.. correct ratio/mix is the key..

looks like too dry a pour to me.. or maybe a Shyte screeder :lol:

D

Daz

I will say in my experience these screeds are very very flat normallly but lafarge are not held responsible for screeder error and this s deffo screeder error.

I agree Dave, this thread was in no way aimed at bashing a supplier / manufacturer. I just wanted to clarify that I was correct in assuming that one of the key features of this type of screed is it is self levelling.

A

Aston

Oh my giddy aunt. That is awful. Is that dips between the pipes (I assume its UFH). This is called pipe mapping and it is caused by one of 3 things.

1. Pipes not fully secured ad have floated - this usually is patchy and sporadic and does not appear to be the case here
2. The screed is placed too thin with a lack of cover to the underfloor heating pipes. This leads to a differential between the level of plastic settlement, a natural function of a flowing screed (self levelling compound does the same thing), between the pipes being greater than that over the pipes. It is often accompanied by cracking across the tops of the pipes
3. The screed has been placed too wet which leads to a similar phenomenon as described in number 2.This scenario is also often accompanied by level issues as the excessive water content in the screed bleeds to the surface and makes it difficult for the installer to differentiate the actual top of the screed and the bleed water on the top. It is also often accompanied by soft powdery patches often in door ways where the bleed water gets chased and causes the screed to segregate locally.

If it is installed correctly then it does exhibit self levelling tendencies. In terms of deviation from the straight edge I would expect in a job of this size that there would be little to none but the screeders generally should install to SR2 as an absolute minimum standard.

You will presumably use a smoothing compound over this one - I would suggest one based on Gypsum. Also are you uncoupling cos that level of "defficiency" could also lead to the screed cracking under thermal loading.........

al, you took the words right out of my mouth :thumbsup:
seriously, cracking diagnosis mate !!

ed

Reply to Self levelling screed??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Will this work? (top to bottom) tiling (one room), 12mm laminate (other room) 19mm T&G chipboard...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Self levelling screed???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.