Discuss self priming tubbed adhesives in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sWe

Always read the product specs. Just because it says "self-priming", it doesn't mean you don't ever have to prime when using it. It mostly depends upon the type of substrate you're tiling onto.

Tiling onto, say, plaster, is not nearly the same as tiling onto plasterboard, as plaster absorbs more moisture than plasterboard, which might cause the adhesive to dry too fast, even if it's self-priming.

The WPC I normally use says it's "primer free" in the spec, except on plaster, but it dries way too fast when I use it to stick vapor and waterproof membranes, no matter what the substrate is, so I prime anyways to prolong the open time.

Always read the specs. You'll learn a great deal from doing that.

Btw, ding 600 posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dock

kilty 55

"self priming" can be a sales and marketing term. In the old days you had to prime to stop the substrate drying the adhesive out too quickly. This is just the same as when people had to soak tiles in water before fixing in cement:sand mortar. In both cases you don't have to do it anymore unless fixing to plaster with cement based dhesive.
Modern decent quality ready mixed adhesives contain a blend of additives that are there to provide non slip characteristics but also retain water thus stopping the background substrate and the tile from sucking the water out too quickly.

dock

Reply to self priming tubbed adhesives in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

kilty55

Arms
TF
edinburgh

Thread Information

Title
self priming tubbed adhesives
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.