UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Serious topic : self employment is it all worth it...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mc497

Hi everyone,
I'm sitting here at my computer AGAIN, with nothing more to do than think about whether I made the right move or not to go self employed about 11 months ago.
To put it bluntly I last worked about 3 weeks ago and even then the job only made me around £300, iv got a little plastering job to do tommorow and friday, and a guy is phoning me to arrange a start date to start tiling his bathroom, hopefully that will be next week. Generally speaking though the whole experience has been pretty dire..!
I fully understand that it takes a long time to establish a well known and trusted business, and I knew that it would be slow for the first year or two, but I can honestly say that I had no idea that it would be this bad.
I have tried all of the usual advertising tricks, I paid for an ad in my local rag which ran for three nights for three weeks, and I didn't get one single call.
Ive printed in the region of 5000 flyers and delivered them all, I did get some work from the flyers, generally speaking I would get one to two calls from each leaflet run I did, but in the general run of things this still doesn't make up regular work. I have my cards in practically every tile suppliers in the Cardiff area, but again I think I can only think of three maybe four times someone has run saying that they picked up my card in so and so shop.
Every morning I take my kids to school in my van which is signed up nice and bold and clearly and then I drive around the area for about an hour trying to get noticed. The other saturday I made up flask of coffee and a packed lunch and did a tour of all the tiling suppliers, parking up near the entrance and staying there for a while so customers might see me as they came in and out.
I go and walk around tiling stores where my card is so maybe the staff in some of them will get to recognise me, and in some of them they have, but still no work.
On the plastering side of things, (im a plasterer as well) things are only slightly better.
Thing is plasterers are ten a penny around my way, I read in disbelief at government figures saying that ie 7000 more plasterers needed in the uk by such and such date, I can honestly say that I cant see a shortage, but everyone else disagrees with me.
Seriously though from what I can see is plastering is now a dead trade, and drylining etc etc is slowly taking over, with the only plastering skill needed any more being skimming. As for the tiling side of things, I still think that alot of people dont regard it as a real skill, for instance practically everyone I see going into the tiling shops seem to be doing it themselves. Also you think every general builder or handyman or whatever all do their own tiling.
This really infuriates me, I started tiling seriously about a year ago , and I have fallen in love with this game, I was quite ignorant about tiling myself before going on a training course and then taking on a few jobs for real. After that I realised how involved and varied tiling can be, and that not just any DIYer can do this.
If i think back to an earlier post I made I stated that it take a long time to become a competent tile fixer, and I stand by that, Im not the finished article yet I know this. Basically, I seem to be getting one job every say two to three weeks, If these jobs were £700-800 a go then I wouldn't really be worried, but their not, in reality its more like £200-300 a go if Im lucky. I dont know what the situation for tradesmen is like in your areas, but in my local yellow pages there are 4 pages of tilers, 6 pages of plasterers, 9 pages of decorators, 23 pages of builders, 16pages of electricians and 18 pages of plumbers. ( I know its a bit sad to sit here counting but like I said at the start Im just sitting here with nothing to do again....!)
I hope NOBODY else is going through what Im going through at the moment, but is anybody else finding things slow...?
will thing pick up...?
is anyone out there strugglin...?
Should I be contacting the nearest call centre for any jobs...?

G

Gazzer

I dont want to sound like the grim reaper but if you study the forum you will see there are a lot of Tilers (new and old) that dont have a great deal of work. I have been in the game 31 years and its a tough year so far. I dont think it will change over night either.
Houses are not selling and people arent spending on their properties like they used to.
It doesnt mean you cant make any money but it does mean that you will have to compete more.
Dont throw all your eggs in one basket. if you have a job at the moment stick with it but do tiling when you can. Build up slowly until the time is right.
I will be sitting at home most of tomorrow due to no work. It is not just the newbies that struggle. I have promises of work in the future but in our game its all or nothing. In 2 months time i hope we are all saying we cant cope with the load,

M

mc497

Hello siramic,
I appriciate your comments and fully take on board what you say.
True enough the housing market at the moment is on the fall and that must be a worry to us all. I think there are many reasons for my lack of work at the moment, and as I stated in the initial post, I was not under any illusions as to how long it takes to set up and sustain a profitable business.
The media has a lot to answer for if you ask me, making claims of seriously high salaries in all trades (plumbing in particular) and due to this the market seems to be flooded with newly trained or qualified people in all trades, and I think I have seen quite a few posts regarding this in the past.
I also belive honestly that I am in the wrong part of the country.
As I put in the first post on this subject, in my area the place is saturated by every imaginable trade you can think of, and because of this competition is fierce beyond belief. I hope Im not coming across arsey in any way, but at the moment Im feeling pretty ****ty and when your in this frame of mind you cant see any light at the end of the tunnel.!
Anyway I wish you all the best in the future, and thankyou for a reply from someone with such vast experience.

T

TilingLogistics

Hi,

I feel sorry for you and anyone else who is in this position.

Contrary to popular belief jobs and quotes are not based on price in 95% of cases. The winning of a job is based on selling yourself as a person and convincing the potential client you will and can do a better job and you are more professional than anyone else they have seen or will see.

The first and most important factor is to quantify the potential client over the telephone on the initial contact. I like many others have lost jobs because I was not prepared to fix for peanuts. It is a sad fact that most clients who ring think it is a case of someone turning up and slapping tiles on walls or floors. They have to be convinced that what you do is a skilled job. That is why there are so many people on this and other forums asking "What went wrong"? They simply fail to realise fixing tiles is a profeassional and not a DIY job.

Clients go into shops like porcellanosa and spend £1000's on tiles and adhesives and then expect the tiler to turn their dream into reality for peanuts. It is simple, as everyone knows to create a display of tiles on a wall in a shop that looks fantastic. What clients fail to realise is that to turn a whole bathroom, kitchen or area into the dream takes time, dedication and attention to detail as well as the skills to achieve it.

I have personally been to installations recently where the client had paid the tiler £6000 and £3500 respectively to fix natural stone and both the jobs were at best appalling to say the least. I spend hours explaining to clients what went wrong and why it went wrong but in most cases it is fixer error and lack of knowledge that is to blame.

It is important to remember effective advertising only gets the first contact. The rest is up to you from there. You must assess the basics of the job on the initial contact. So if a client rings and says I have 30M2 Marble to be fixed to my kitchen floor and I have been quoted £20M2 so far and you proceed to quote without further information, there is only one person to blame. My answer would be good luck! I would want to know the following information prior to even going to their house. The colour, size and type of marble. The substrate, what adhesive, make of grout, colour of grout and the grout gap required. The time frame to get the job done and their expectations. The area the job was in? Was there parking, which floor etc etc. All this before I even agreed to make an appointment. This shows you know what you are talking about and gives the client confidence before you even get there. It also saves you time and effort because once you have this knowledge and you find out they don't want to pay anymore than £20 M2 say then you might as well put the phone down and go back to watching Coronation Street. However, once you establish all this and they are still interested then at least you have good information and you can go to the clients house for an appointment armed with the necessary equipment to deal with a quote.

Let us all remember 90% of people are self employed and when pricing up a job fail to take into account the cost of running a vehicle, liability insurance, Tax, NI contributions, holidays and sickness and that generally means as a rule of thumb at least 40% should be comiing off every pound you think you have earned that day. So if you earn £500 a week in real terms its £300. The biggest problem however, is that the client fails to realise this as well and they think because they paid you £500 you walked away with that in your pocket. This information needs to be communicated to the client as well when pricing up the job:thumbsup:

Kev

E

enduro

I started tiling just over 2 years ago, i have a few builders who only do prestige jobs that i work for, and a couple of kitchen shops, top of the market stuff again. I aimed my business at this market as i found that once you got your foot in the door with them and did a really good job your away....Most of my tiling is day rate £160-£200 per day as some jobs I'm working with other trades, like today fitting shower screen with plumber. What most of them like with me is not the speed i put them up but attention to detail, and fitting in with there guys, so aim your market at these guys. Drive around look for big houses being refurbished, new builds and go and ask, get on the phone to plumbers etc that what i did and it works. I dont advertise anymore, if there is loads of people advertising in your area, papers and tile shops its going to be a waste of time you doing it aswell, you will only get jobs that you and 20 other people are chasing. So dont sit at home waiting for the phone to ring go out looking, do a 30 mile radius of your home and hunt for it, because i bet it there if you look :thumbsup:

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Hi mc497
Sorry to hear your having a bad time ,i too am self-employed but 80% of my work come's through one company the other 20% is from builders and domestic job's and fortunately for me i am pretty much always busy.

What i would suggest is get in touch with a local tiling firm that sub-contract's there work and see how that goes, as even if your working on job's for them you can still go and do your domestic work ,as for your pricing How much are you charging? i would'nt go on the price's you see here at the forum's ,as depending on where you live the price's will vary i charge between £15 and £45 (labour only)depending on the job ,but expect the companies to pay less if your subcontracting most firm's around here pay around £13.50 m2.

And you have only been at it a year give it a bit of time and you should be o.k.

Hope this help's and good luck:thumbsup:

D

Dirrty

I started tiling just over 2 years ago, i have a few builders who only do prestige jobs that i work for, and a couple of kitchen shops, top of the market stuff again. I aimed my business at this market as i found that once you got your foot in the door with them and did a really good job your away....Most of my tiling is day rate £160-£200 per day as some jobs I'm working with other trades, like today fitting shower screen with plumber. What most of them like with me is not the speed i put them up but attention to detail, and fitting in with there guys, so aim your market at these guys. Drive around look for big houses being refurbished, new builds and go and ask, get on the phone to plumbers etc that what i did and it works. I dont advertise anymore, if there is loads of people advertising in your area, papers and tile shops its going to be a waste of time you doing it aswell, you will only get jobs that you and 20 other people are chasing. So dont sit at home waiting for the phone to ring go out looking, do a 30 mile radius of your home and hunt for it, because i bet it there if you look :thumbsup:
Nothing on for me today, so went delivering leaflets. 4 hours and nearly 600 leaflets later a woman comes chasing after me in the street, could I have a look at her kitchen splashback now as she has been let down. She makes me coffee and while we are chatting I am looking at the work out of the corner of my eye and thinking about 4m2, reasonably straight forward, no windows, L-shaped, two walls, thinking about £190. So start measuring and she is explaining that tiler just hasn't turned up twice and rang yesterday morning to say he couldn't do it for about six weeks, so she told him not to bother. Then she says ' the thing is you think he would be keen, I mean just under £500 and he said it would only take him a couple of days' ......!!!!!!!!!! lol. Quoted her £430, told her I would juggle a job and fit her in Friday, took £50 cash deposit !............... Now I know I got lucky here, but if I hadnt been out there I wouldn't have been lucky would I? Enduro is spot on, because when an area has too many of a particular trade, the enevitable happens, a natural culling occurs, and only the strongest survive. I feel for you mc, but it sounds like this is the case in your area, so as much as you are doing, you gotta do more! The others won't, they will go, you will survive and get stronger :thumbsup: .........................hopefully lol

T

TilingLogistics

Hi Kev, Im in the Pentwyn area.
Do you know Cardiff ?

Born and bred there mate. I was in Cardiff last week. Strangely enough and I know it doesn't help you but I was hunting everywhere for a tiler in that area a few months ago and posted it on another Forum. No takers whatsoever!!!
I do however know a few people in the area and will keep my ear to the ground for you.

Kev

M

mc497

Born and bred there mate. I was in Cardiff last week. Strangely enough and I know it doesn't help you but I was hunting everywhere for a tiler in that area a few months ago and posted it on another Forum. No takers whatsoever!!!
I do however know a few people in the area and will keep my ear to the ground for you.

Kev
Cheers Kev, thats really generous of you...!
My business name by the way is MCW services,(if im allowed to mention it on here..?)
Where did you grow up in Cardiff...?
I live and work from Pentwyn nowadays, but I'm a Grangetown boy born and bred.

G

GRAYLIN

When I was 16 waiting to join the RAf I was unemployed. My father kicked me out of the house at 8am to find a job and not allowed back until 5pm, unless I had a job. It took me 3 days to find a job. This was 1981.The moral of the story, I would not have got that job sat at home.
:furious3: :mad2:
Those of you at home GET OUT and find work. Park outside tiling, diy stores. Go to building sites, tiling shops. Leave cards in pubs, surgeries, anywhere the public go.
The public like to see you more than once sometimes especially when you advertise, this way they know your not a fly by night.
People spend most of their money on services within 5 miles of their homes. So dont travel miles when it could be under your nose.:thumbsup: :hurray:

Sorry TOUGH LOVE is needed sometimes.:grouphug:

Good Luck to you all.:thumbsup:

T

TilingLogistics

When I was 16 waiting to join the RAf I was unemployed. My father kicked me out of the house at 8am to find a job and not allowed back until 5pm, unless I had a job. It took me 3 days to find a job. This was 1981.The moral of the story, I would not have got that job sat at home.
:furious3: :mad2:
Those of you at home GET OUT and find work. Park outside tiling, diy stores. Go to building sites, tiling shops. Leave cards in pubs, surgeries, anywhere the public go.
The public like to see you more than once sometimes especially when you advertise, this way they know your not a fly by night.
People spend most of their money on services within 5 miles of their homes. So dont travel miles when it could be under your nose.:thumbsup: :hurray:

Sorry TOUGH LOVE is needed sometimes.:grouphug:

Good Luck to you all.:thumbsup:

Sounds like you had a Dad similar to mine:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Kev

Reply to Serious topic : self employment is it all worth it...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.