Discuss Shocking Workmanship! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rookery

I did a bathroom last year where the house next door had just had 2 full bathrooms done by another tiler. 1 in trav walls and floor, 1 in porcelain walls and floor. Apparently it took him 3 months and he used tubbed stuff throughout. The floors failed within a few months and its probably going/gone legal. In December I'm going a full bathroom that was done only 8 months ago. The floor has failed and the rest of the job is shoddy to say the least. I get asked to visit this type of job regularly, it must go on all the time all over the place.

S

sjw450

yeh it really annoys me when these professional no nothing cowboys talk a good game and win the job then mess it up, I went to price a job the other night I was reccomended to the client so I thought great, another job to do, It was a kitchen + utility + wc room floor, complete size was 30 square metres to be done with 300x300 quartz, also had an island in middle to go round, plynths to come off and trim and re fit, washing machine to tile under, fridges etc. told the client my price and she looked at me funny and said ''no thanks ive just had a quote for £600 including materials, can you beat that?'' I said no and goodluck. Fair enough you win some you lose some but i wonder more times than not now why the customer spends alot of money on a new extension, kitchens etc that looks amazing, she had more dimmer switches and lights than b&q, best gear all round yet she chooses the cheapest tiling quote to finish the build off, didnt even ask about previous jobs or photos or anything just driven on cheapest price. Anyway thats me got it off my chest! lol

O

On one

that's a bad as i've seen!
but it doesn't surprise me anymore. absolutely scandalous and not right but this kinda thing has been going on for decades and until the government implements something like ie ''only a tiler can do the tiling (now theres a freakin concept??) then we are going to keep seeing more of it.
Your right about it going on for decades....on Saturday took me a whole 30mins to demo an average sized bathroom from the 80's. Whoever had tiled it had committed every cardinal sin in the tiling handbook.Tiling over paper,tiling onto painted walls, tiling onto an non absorbent perspex sheeting,tiling onto bare timber,using a notched trowel that was too small.The only thing holding it together was the grout.It was just plain dangerous.

Reply to Shocking Workmanship! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Shocking Workmanship!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.